Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to open Finder folders always in new windows?

New to Big Sur, so excuse the newbie question:

In the Finder in Big Sur 11.1, when I double-click on a folder to open it, how can I make the default behavior be for it to open in a new window, rather than (as is currently the case) in the same existing window? I know that if I hold down the Command key while double-clicking, the folder will open in a new window — but I want that to be the default behavior, not only achievable by holding down the Command key. I searched around in various System preferences, but couldn't figure out how to do it.

MacBook

Posted on Jan 26, 2021 5:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 26, 2021 5:40 PM

In Finder Preferences > General, deselect Open folders in tabs instead of new windows. Then for any given folder in a Finder window, you right-click on it and select Open in New Window. When you double-click on the same folder, it will not open in a new window, and there is no Finder configuration for that effect.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 26, 2021 5:40 PM in response to Tuffy Nicolas

In Finder Preferences > General, deselect Open folders in tabs instead of new windows. Then for any given folder in a Finder window, you right-click on it and select Open in New Window. When you double-click on the same folder, it will not open in a new window, and there is no Finder configuration for that effect.

Jan 27, 2021 3:45 PM in response to Tuffy Nicolas

There does not appear to be a means in the Big Sur 11.1 Finder that permits a configuration where all folders when double-clicked (without modifiers keys) will open in a new window. I see no means to configure Finder for this feature as you have described it.

Apple has deprecated considerable past functionality that users have become accustomed to, and with another Finder redesign in Big Sur, they may not see a reason to end that behavior pattern.

Jan 26, 2021 6:00 PM in response to VikingOSX

Thanks. I already have deselected "Open folders in tabs instead of new windows," and already know about holding down the option key and selecting "open in New Window" (also achievable by holding down the Command key while double-clicking). But my goal is for all folders to always open in new windows automatically as the default behavior, without having to hold down any modifier keys. You say that "there is no Finder configuration for that effect," but it was easily possible as a standard setting in every version of MacOS I've ever used up until now. Surely there must be some way to change the default behavior in Big Sur -- I can't figure out why such a commonplace setting would be deprecated. Perhaps with Terminal? Or some kind of add-on?

How to open Finder folders always in new windows?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.