Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What kind of Ethernet cable to buy?

Hi,

Ive just brought a new iMac. It says it supports a gigabit ethernet?

Just looked at the cable Ive currently got from my old (2011) iMac... it says its a cat5?

Anyway, should I get a new cable to ensure optimum internet speed? If yes, please tell me which one to get!

Thanks

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jan 27, 2021 1:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 27, 2021 2:02 AM

Hi davidlauren,

Cat 5 has a speed limit of 100 MBPS. Since you new iMac has 1 Gigabit ethernet, you can get a Cat 6 ethernet cable, which has a 1 Gig speed.

However, if even though you have a Gigabit ethernet port, that does not mean you will get 1 Gig internet. This speed is still what you pay for from your Internet Service Provider, such as AT&T.

However, as an example, say you pay for 200 MBPS Internet Service. The Cat 6 will still upgrade your speeds so you can take full advantage of what you pay for.

Cheers,

Jack

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 27, 2021 2:02 AM in response to davidlauren

Hi davidlauren,

Cat 5 has a speed limit of 100 MBPS. Since you new iMac has 1 Gigabit ethernet, you can get a Cat 6 ethernet cable, which has a 1 Gig speed.

However, if even though you have a Gigabit ethernet port, that does not mean you will get 1 Gig internet. This speed is still what you pay for from your Internet Service Provider, such as AT&T.

However, as an example, say you pay for 200 MBPS Internet Service. The Cat 6 will still upgrade your speeds so you can take full advantage of what you pay for.

Cheers,

Jack

What kind of Ethernet cable to buy?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.