Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook

I have been locked out of my 2009 Mac book, when I attempted to change the administrator from my son back to myself the computer locked me out.

Posted on Jan 27, 2021 7:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 27, 2021 6:14 PM

Hi Poppopsrmbrt,

What version of OS X is your Mac running? You might be able to reset your password from OS X Recovery:

1. Restart your Mac while holding down Command-R. Release the keys when the Apple logo appears with a progress bar.
  2. When the OS X Utilities window appears, go to the top of the screen (where the menu bar is), select Utilities -> Terminal.
  3. Type "resetpassword" without the quotes and hit Enter (Return).
  4. Follow the onscreen instructions to reset your password.
  5. Restart, then check if your account has administrator permissions: System Preferences -> Users and Groups -> select your account. The box for "Allow user to administer this computer" should be checked.
1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 27, 2021 6:14 PM in response to Poppopsrmbrt

Hi Poppopsrmbrt,

What version of OS X is your Mac running? You might be able to reset your password from OS X Recovery:

1. Restart your Mac while holding down Command-R. Release the keys when the Apple logo appears with a progress bar.
  2. When the OS X Utilities window appears, go to the top of the screen (where the menu bar is), select Utilities -> Terminal.
  3. Type "resetpassword" without the quotes and hit Enter (Return).
  4. Follow the onscreen instructions to reset your password.
  5. Restart, then check if your account has administrator permissions: System Preferences -> Users and Groups -> select your account. The box for "Allow user to administer this computer" should be checked.

MacBook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.