Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Big Sur Thunderbolt 2 - External Drives-not recognized by multiple Macs.

I'm trying to set up a new backup and external drive system for my spouse. She has an iMac Retina which I, fear, I updated to run Big Sur. There are two external hardware RAID drives, a G-RAID configured for RAID 0, and a Brand new Mercury Elite Pro Dual. Each are Thunderbolt 2. The iMac didn't see the drive. I tried the same thing with my MacBookPro (also now Big Sur) with the same result.

Strangely, I could format them both if I attached using USB. but when I went back to Thunderbolt connections, mostly nothing. I could get one to mount on one Mac sometimes. I tried all ports, different cables, and one at a time.

Tried zapping the P-RAM but I guess the old ways are not more. The old key combo didn't work

Help, please

Posted on Jan 27, 2021 2:31 PM

Similar questions

3 replies

Jan 27, 2021 4:07 PM in response to Creativesur

Creativesur, I have an external TB3 SSD that works on my 2016 MacBook Pro. I had to re-format it. But the system recognized it. It is now formatted AFPS. FYI it's an OWC Envoy Pro EX.

Just making sure: you are having this problem in Big Sur?

If so, did you try reformatting your drive, assuming it is recognized?

Other than that, I'm not getting any help. It's just weird that two external TB2s will work on two Macs in USB but not TB 2, or TB2 with an Apple TB3>2 adapter. This is a huge problem. Sorry I can't be any real help.

Big Sur Thunderbolt 2 - External Drives-not recognized by multiple Macs.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.