Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

14.4 iOS crashing all my apps, even Apple Store

My iPhone 11 is crashing all apps after installed the latest 14.4 iOS....I have Apple Store people help me to have factory reset, and restored, but problem persists...

Anything can be done to fix?

thanks

iPhone 11

Posted on Jan 28, 2021 12:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 28, 2021 12:38 AM

Before updating to the latest iOS 14.4 as told on your post what was your earlier iOS version. Then you can look into the iOS changes that has happened between the earlier version on your iPhone and this new version that you have updated now. 

This will give you a broader idea of the issue, if it is directly linked to the iOS version or is triggered by something else.

Because iOS 14.4 is only for following reasons, you may probably be carrying a legacy issue from previous iOS versions.

iOS 14.4 includes the following improvements for your iPhone:

• Smaller QR codes can be recognized by Camera
  • Option to classify Bluetooth device type in Settings for correct identification of headphones for audio notifications
  • Notifications for when the camera on your iPhone is unable to be verified as a new, genuine Apple camera in iPhone 12, iPhone 12 mini, iPhone 12 Pro and iPhone 12 Pro Max

This release also fixes the following issues:

• Image artifacts could appear in HDR photos taken with iPhone 12 Pro
  • Fitness widget may not display updated Activity data
  • Typing may be delayed and word suggestions may not appear in the keyboard
  • The keyboard may not come up in the correct language in Messages
  • Audio stories from the News app in CarPlay may not resume after being paused for spoken directions or Siri
  • Enabling Switch Control in Accessibility may prevent phone calls from being answered from the Lock Screen

For information on the security content of Apple software updates, please visit this website: https://support.apple.com/kb/HT201222 

34 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 28, 2021 12:38 AM in response to willowcello

Before updating to the latest iOS 14.4 as told on your post what was your earlier iOS version. Then you can look into the iOS changes that has happened between the earlier version on your iPhone and this new version that you have updated now. 

This will give you a broader idea of the issue, if it is directly linked to the iOS version or is triggered by something else.

Because iOS 14.4 is only for following reasons, you may probably be carrying a legacy issue from previous iOS versions.

iOS 14.4 includes the following improvements for your iPhone:

• Smaller QR codes can be recognized by Camera
  • Option to classify Bluetooth device type in Settings for correct identification of headphones for audio notifications
  • Notifications for when the camera on your iPhone is unable to be verified as a new, genuine Apple camera in iPhone 12, iPhone 12 mini, iPhone 12 Pro and iPhone 12 Pro Max

This release also fixes the following issues:

• Image artifacts could appear in HDR photos taken with iPhone 12 Pro
  • Fitness widget may not display updated Activity data
  • Typing may be delayed and word suggestions may not appear in the keyboard
  • The keyboard may not come up in the correct language in Messages
  • Audio stories from the News app in CarPlay may not resume after being paused for spoken directions or Siri
  • Enabling Switch Control in Accessibility may prevent phone calls from being answered from the Lock Screen

For information on the security content of Apple software updates, please visit this website: https://support.apple.com/kb/HT201222 

Mar 23, 2021 8:51 AM in response to willard244

Backup

Restore tp factory condition

Set up from the hello screen using your Apple ID

Do not install any additional apps

Do not restore from backup

Now does it do it?

• Yes - your phone is busted.
  • No - find out what rubbish you installed that is crashing your phone by building up from scratch

Here is a guide for those steps

Backup and restore

(1)How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch – Apple Support

(2) Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings – Apple Support

Then

Only if it works ok at this point

(3) Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from a backup

Feb 28, 2021 4:25 AM in response to 4herners

Wherever you have your backup you need to try a vanilla setup to see what app or setting is crashing the phone.

(Needless to say any security apps or VPN can easily do that )

I leave it to you to make sure you safeguard your data before trying

Backup and restore

(3) Test the phone

(4) Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from a backup

(5) Test again

Apr 9, 2021 3:54 AM in response to Benblob688

NO bugs in 14.4.2

you may have a hardware problem. 

First try a forced restart

https://support.apple.com/guide/iphone/force-restart-iphone-iph8903c3ee6/ios

If that does not help the  next procedure would be to backup then restore your device to factory, and setup the device without restoring a backup, to see if the issue is replicated. 

Then restore the backup. If you need to send the phone in for repair then backing up and restoring to factory would be needed anyway.

Here is a guide for those steps

Backup and restore

(3) Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from a backup

If that fails arrange a repair

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/iphone/repair/service

Feb 28, 2021 3:57 AM in response to willowcello

I have been having the same issue. I had the i8 Plus, all paid off - phone continued crashing if more than two apps were open - especially if one was my camera... thinking it was the phone (operating on iOS 14.4), I broke down & bought the i12 pro max. Much to my surprise, iOS 14.4 is still crashing! Wishing I would’ve kept my i8 plus now... still crashes with more than one app open & I notice it happens more if one of those apps is my camera. Very frustrating when you miss that picture perfect moment of your adorable 2 year old (and now I’m paying for a new phone)....😔

Apr 9, 2021 2:48 AM in response to MartinKoie

I’m having the same situation on iPhone 7 iOS 14.4.2—many apps are behaving strangely and there is a general slowdown in the OS:

camera: opens with black camera view and has to be hard quit. Can switch between modes but still black view.

mail: long press preview of messages freezes the app, sometimes glitches out completely and layers of the UI get mixed together.

Facebook: won’t dismiss notifications and reacts/comments don’t appear until you go off and back on the posts. Frequently freezes completely and must be hard quit.

Messenger: keyboard won’t dismiss at all in chats, so gifs and stickers cannot be touched and messages won’t mark as read unless responded to. Videos play audio but show the first frame image only.

WhatsApp: won’t stay open for longer than 10 seconds, often crashes instantly on open.

Youtube: won’t auto-rotate videos.

my iPad Pro 10.5” has also been slow on iOS 14.4.x iterations too. Something feels very wrong and I am worried that, because these devices are older, that I will be left as my last iOS version on a buggy release. I am not sure if iPhone 7 will get iOS 15 but either way, to have a buggy final x.x.x is going to leave some users their last iOS update possible as a bug-ridden one. Perhaps iPhone 6S...

Apr 20, 2021 10:54 AM in response to willowcello

14.4.2 update Iphone 6S causes app problems and camera. Apps keep closing after opening them and camera does not work anymore (black). Even location can't be set on in the Iphone instellingen menu. Really tight security, but the Iphone is usesles after this OS update, most of the apps are not working FB, Whatsapp, Spotify, camera, Outlook, Spotify. Also Find my Iphone on/ of is not working which is required for a back up reset.

Please Apple fix this soon, or I have to switch to another brand.

Apr 20, 2021 11:17 AM in response to jeroen127

my iphone 6S is absolutely fine on 14.4.2 as are tens of millions of 6S

Yours isn’t ... so

It’s your installation that needs fixing not the iOS

Or your phone has failed.

Nothing for Apple to fix.

If you want to move away from Apple over this then nobody here will stop you, but the standard trouble shooting solutions have been posted above.

14.4 iOS crashing all my apps, even Apple Store

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.