Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac OS Sur - Airplay icon not showing in menu bar

I am connected on Airplay to my Apple TV via ethernet only (with my wireless and bluetooth turned off).

Before I upgraded to Mac OS Big Sur, there always used be be an Airplay icon in the menu bar which now is no longer the case. This includes the fact that; "show mirroring options in the menu bar when available" is turned on.

I don't wish to use wireless and bluetooth as I suffer from EHS. Now for me to connect Airplay to my Apple TV, I have to now go into System Preferences, etc, etc to get to activate Airplay - it's now a very inconvenient, long, sad, frustrating journey.

Believe this is a programming bug / error on Apple's side or has Apple's Airplay icon requirements changed since Mac OS High Sierra?

Having my wireless and bluetooth turned on makes the Airplay icon appear in the menu bar. Also the option to turn off Airplay is no longer in the dropdown menu!?

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 11.1

Posted on Jan 28, 2021 2:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 29, 2021 11:10 AM

Howdy,

I'm also on a Retina iMac with Big Sur and was able to Screen Mirror to an Apple TV over Ethernet with BlueTooth and WiFi disabled, all from the Menu Bar.

In Red, BlueTooth and Wifi are off.

In Green, the Screen Mirroring icon allowing me to choose one of my Apple TVs.

The Airplay icon with Catalina

is now a Screen Mirroring icon

Not a great picture, but there's the TV mirroring the iMac.

And yes, although I cannot totally turn off AirPlay from the Menu Bar, I can start and stop Screen Mirroring from the menu bar.

I can quickly get to the Display Preferences from the Menu Bar where I can totally turn it off if I want.

Hope that helps.

ivan

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 29, 2021 11:10 AM in response to MarnixGarner

Howdy,

I'm also on a Retina iMac with Big Sur and was able to Screen Mirror to an Apple TV over Ethernet with BlueTooth and WiFi disabled, all from the Menu Bar.

In Red, BlueTooth and Wifi are off.

In Green, the Screen Mirroring icon allowing me to choose one of my Apple TVs.

The Airplay icon with Catalina

is now a Screen Mirroring icon

Not a great picture, but there's the TV mirroring the iMac.

And yes, although I cannot totally turn off AirPlay from the Menu Bar, I can start and stop Screen Mirroring from the menu bar.

I can quickly get to the Display Preferences from the Menu Bar where I can totally turn it off if I want.

Hope that helps.

ivan

Mac OS Sur - Airplay icon not showing in menu bar

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.