Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The computer is not able to open the photo library for repair...

I have lost all my photos and MacBook Pro is unable to locate the photo library. Is there anyway that I could retrieve the photos?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Jan 28, 2021 4:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 29, 2021 2:25 AM

If you cannot find the library as outlined by Tony, we really need to know more to understand why the library has vanished.

What has happened directly before Photos could no longer find the library? Did you just upgrade to a new system version? Which system version is running on your Mac?

Have you been using iCloud Photos?

Where have you been keeping the Photos Library? If you kept the Photos Library on an external volume, make sure, the external volume is compatible with Photos as described here: Move your Photos library to save space on your Mac - Apple Support. The recent system versions are no longer allowing us to keep the Photos Library on an incompatible volume.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 29, 2021 2:25 AM in response to Jung-Un

If you cannot find the library as outlined by Tony, we really need to know more to understand why the library has vanished.

What has happened directly before Photos could no longer find the library? Did you just upgrade to a new system version? Which system version is running on your Mac?

Have you been using iCloud Photos?

Where have you been keeping the Photos Library? If you kept the Photos Library on an external volume, make sure, the external volume is compatible with Photos as described here: Move your Photos library to save space on your Mac - Apple Support. The recent system versions are no longer allowing us to keep the Photos Library on an incompatible volume.

Jan 29, 2021 12:37 AM in response to Jung-Un

You will need to tell us how the library came to be lost. Though if it is actually lost (Rather than moved somewhere photos can't find it) the only way back will be from your most recent backup.

First try opening photos while holding the option key. Is more than one library listed. If so, open them in turn to see if any contain your photos.

If not, then use the spotlight search to see if there are any other libraries (search in finder). Put photoslibrary in the searchbox.

Make sure "this mac" is selected.

If you click on the found libraries in turn, the location will be shown at the bottom of the finder window. Open each one to see if they contain your images. (Use the option key to start photos then select the library)

Jan 29, 2021 3:20 PM in response to TonyCollinet

Thank you Tony.

Good news! I have located all my photos were saved in a folder in iCloud other than the Photo Library. Consequently there is no chronological order or tag attached to each picture, but I am at least at peace to know that they are there. I don't understand how and why this has happened and prevented me to open the Photo application all of the sudden.

The only thing "new" that I might have done recently that could be considered unusual is that I downloaded all my pictures from Facebook to a Chrome picture...

I really appreciate your comment and help.

Thanks a million.

JULee

Jan 29, 2021 3:27 PM in response to léonie

Hi Iéonie,

I actually have more space on my computer than in iCloud. i.e. I don't need to use iCloud. But, I have not been successful to turn iCloud off. But, today, I have benefitted from iCloud as all the pictures were found there in a third photo library file which I do not recall creating it myself.

I am suspecting such file was created after multiple attempts to repair the Photo app (Option + click --> Repair) that I found empty and restarting the computer may have prompted to re-load.

Thanks for your support and comment.

JULee

The computer is not able to open the photo library for repair...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.