You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Air 2012 to Sony Bravia TV

I am trying to connect my Macbook Air 2012 to a Sony Bravia TV via HDMI. I am using a USB-C adaptor. The SONY TV is recognised by the Mac and the display is mirrored correctly for about 7/8 seconds but then both the TV and Mac go blank and then it reconnects and I can see the display on both for another 7/8 seconds and so on and so on. On a different TV (Samsung) it connected and worked straight away. I have tried with 3 different HDMI cables (2 did as above and 3rd showed nothing). When connected I get 2 Display options showing on Mac - for Built in Display and for SONY TV is this normal?

I have done SMC and NVRAM resets.

Any advice much appreciated!

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jan 29, 2021 2:43 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 29, 2021 2:57 PM

The MacBook Air from 2012 has no USB-C port, to connect a display to a 2012 MacBook Air you should use the Tunderbold connector.

In case that you did use this connector but used the wrong name, you could try a different adapter since you state that you only changed the cables.

Have you also tried a different HDMI sources/ports on your TV, most TV's have multiple HDMI ports, make sure to switch the channel to, like from HDMI 1 to HDMI 2 if you use the HDMI 2 port.

Always make sure that your Mac is up to date, that could resolve the issue.

It is normal to see those options if you connect a display to your Mac.

This is all I could come up with, hope it helps :)

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 29, 2021 2:57 PM in response to johnaachen

The MacBook Air from 2012 has no USB-C port, to connect a display to a 2012 MacBook Air you should use the Tunderbold connector.

In case that you did use this connector but used the wrong name, you could try a different adapter since you state that you only changed the cables.

Have you also tried a different HDMI sources/ports on your TV, most TV's have multiple HDMI ports, make sure to switch the channel to, like from HDMI 1 to HDMI 2 if you use the HDMI 2 port.

Always make sure that your Mac is up to date, that could resolve the issue.

It is normal to see those options if you connect a display to your Mac.

This is all I could come up with, hope it helps :)

Macbook Air 2012 to Sony Bravia TV

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.