Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I am not able to get sound out of the built-in speakers on my iMac 27

I am unable to get any sound out of the built-in speakers on my IMac27. I went to the Apple>system preferences>Sound>output.

The window does not show "built-in" speakers

Posted on Jan 29, 2021 4:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 29, 2021 10:10 PM

Hi CarolLesch,

If the internal speakers are not even showing in System Preferences, this would indicate a hardware issue, and you must setup an appointment at an Apple Store or AASP. Learn more here: Mac Repair - Official Apple Support.

Cheers,

Jack

3 replies

Jan 29, 2021 11:23 PM in response to CarolLesch

CarolLesch Said:

"I am not able to get sound out of the built-in speakers on my iMac 27: I am unable to get any sound out of the built-in speakers on my IMac27. I went to the Apple>system preferences>Sound>output. The window does not show "built-in" speakers"

-------

Software Issue:

As for fixing all of this issue, you may need to reinstall the macOS. Reinstalling the macOS will place moved items back to where they should be, and will replace damaged system files. Sometimes, when changes are made to your system (i.e. installations), system files(i.e. sound drivers) become manipulated, technically. So, what to do...

1. First, Back up your Mac:

Create a Time Machine backup of your Mac, so that you can have something to restore your Mac from, should anything go wrong with the reinstall. Use an external Hard Drive of at least 1.5 times the size of your internal hard drive.

2. Then, Reinstall the macOS:

Nothing would be deleted. It's just that items that have become corrupted or deleted, would be replaced or reinstalled back to where they should be. Go Here: How to reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery - Apple Support

I am not able to get sound out of the built-in speakers on my iMac 27

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.