Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad could not be restored unknown error 4013

I have an iPad that won't restore. It is a 7th generation iPad that is a year or two old. iTunes says that it can't be updated and it must be restored to factory settings. When I try this I get:

"This iPad 'iPad' could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (4013)"

I was on a chat with Apple support and they had me go through the same restore process with the same result.

I have ensured that I have the latest version of iTunes. I have tried different lightning cables and different PCs, with the same result. I have plugged the iPad in overnight using the original Apple charger and cable.

Anyone have any other ideas?

Note that I can't go to an Apple store as the stores here (in Toronto, Canada) are closed due to Covid.

Posted on Jan 30, 2021 9:04 AM

7 replies

Jan 31, 2021 11:58 AM in response to waynefromtoronto

6th Gen iPad owner. I sent in our original one for a battery replacement last November. I’m pretty sure they sent me a refurbished one and not my original one. Worked ok for a couple months. Then, Had the error code 4013.

Tried multiple update/restore on my own and over the phone. Took to my local Apple store and the genius couldn’t fix it either. She suggested there was a hardware issue that couldn’t be fixed. It was out of warranty, so I was out of luck. No trade in value. Had to buy a new iPad. If anyone figures out if this is fixable I’ll keep watching since I still have the iPaperweight still.

Jan 31, 2021 12:04 PM in response to mr1ncredi6le

Thanks, I went through another chat with Apple support. We decided that I would send it in for repair. But the repair cost was C$384. IMO it makes no sense to pay that much to repair it when I can buy a new iPad with 32GB (which I think is the same as this one) for C$429+tax. Even if they sent me a refurb it isn't worth it.

Note C$=Canadian dollar which is ~ 1.27 US dollars

iPad could not be restored unknown error 4013

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.