Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

should I disclose my user password when leaving my computer for repair

My MacBook Pro has to go to an approved Apple Repair centre for out of warranty work. What do I do re the user password that I use to gain entry to the computer - should I disclose this info to the technician or not

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.1

Posted on Jan 30, 2021 8:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 30, 2021 10:42 AM

fx405 wrote:

My MacBook Pro has to go to an approved Apple Repair centre for out of warranty work. What do I do re the user password that I use to gain entry to the computer - should I disclose this info to the technician or not

By all means—No

Simply set up the Guest User account on the log in screen— no psswd needed.

Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac - Apple Support

Verify seldom is anyone going to log into an account— with all the diagnostic available.

Repairs are about hardware not software— if it boots it is out the door.

A company business in computer repair is not going to be in business long if it steals your user data— there is no interest.

Get your Mac ready for service - Apple Support https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT209095

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 30, 2021 10:42 AM in response to fx405

fx405 wrote:

By all means—No

Simply set up the Guest User account on the log in screen— no psswd needed.

Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac - Apple Support

Verify seldom is anyone going to log into an account— with all the diagnostic available.

Repairs are about hardware not software— if it boots it is out the door.

A company business in computer repair is not going to be in business long if it steals your user data— there is no interest.

Get your Mac ready for service - Apple Support https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT209095

should I disclose my user password when leaving my computer for repair

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.