Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

M1 MacBook Pro only charges through the forward most Thunderbolt / USB 4 port?

It was my understanding that I could charge my brand new Laptop through either Thunderbolt / USB 4 port; however only the forward most port is charging. Is this designed that way or does my computer have a faulty port.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.1

Posted on Jan 30, 2021 1:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 30, 2021 7:23 PM

If the other port doesn't charge the laptop then that port must be bad. Make sure to plug the charger directly into the laptop since dongles/adapters may not transfer all the charger's power to the laptop.

You will need to have Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider examine and repair the laptop.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 30, 2021 7:23 PM in response to sliggett

If the other port doesn't charge the laptop then that port must be bad. Make sure to plug the charger directly into the laptop since dongles/adapters may not transfer all the charger's power to the laptop.

You will need to have Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider examine and repair the laptop.

M1 MacBook Pro only charges through the forward most Thunderbolt / USB 4 port?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.