Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to erase backups from AirPort Extreme

I've replaced 2 computers and want to back them up on my AirPort Extreme. The Airport is full and I want to remove backups from the old computers. I've been unable to delete them, and I can't access the disk with Disk Utility, even when connecting it with a network cable.

Posted on Jan 31, 2021 11:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 31, 2021 11:37 AM

Apple calls a lot of things "AirPort...." Not trying to be picky here, but an AirPort Extreme does not have a built in hard drive. If your "AirPort Extreme" has a built in hard drive.......you have an AirPort Time Capsule.

If you have an AirPort Time Capsule.......you would not use Disk Utility to erase the hard drive.

Open AirPort Utility (Finder > Applications > Utilities > AirPort Utility)

Click on the AirPort Time Capsule

Click Edit in the smaller window that appears

Click the Disks tab at the top of the next window

Click Erase Disk

The Quick Erase option will be fine if you are keeping the Time Capsule.. This will take 5-10 minutes or so.

Zero Out Data would be used if you were selling the AirPort Time Capsule to another user and you wanted a much more secure erase, which will take 6-8 hours or so on average.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 31, 2021 11:37 AM in response to Paul Andrews

Apple calls a lot of things "AirPort...." Not trying to be picky here, but an AirPort Extreme does not have a built in hard drive. If your "AirPort Extreme" has a built in hard drive.......you have an AirPort Time Capsule.

If you have an AirPort Time Capsule.......you would not use Disk Utility to erase the hard drive.

Open AirPort Utility (Finder > Applications > Utilities > AirPort Utility)

Click on the AirPort Time Capsule

Click Edit in the smaller window that appears

Click the Disks tab at the top of the next window

Click Erase Disk

The Quick Erase option will be fine if you are keeping the Time Capsule.. This will take 5-10 minutes or so.

Zero Out Data would be used if you were selling the AirPort Time Capsule to another user and you wanted a much more secure erase, which will take 6-8 hours or so on average.

How to erase backups from AirPort Extreme

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.