Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

relink managed media

Hi there,

I understand that fcp works with external media (media files in an external folder and not in the library) and managed media (media files that were imported into the library).

I imported 10 clips into the library. For each clip I made a new project. I managed to edit 3 of them so far, worked fine. When I made the 4th project I noticed that the first 3 now have the yellow exclamation mark.

When I try to ´relink files - original media - missing´ the window stays empty. When I try to ´relink files - original media - all´ the window is populated with all file names. I then have to click ´locate´ I then navigate to the library (I imported the original media into the library during import process). It gives a window that shows fcp is verifying. When done, the yellow exclamation marks are still present.

When I go to the library and right click and select ´show package contents´ I can navigate to the event folder with the exclamation mark. In there I see a folder called ´original media´ in there I can see the so called missing files:

FCPX browser:

Content of ORIGINAL MEDIA folder located in library:

As you can see, the files are present in the library but FCP browser cannot locate them.

Please can anybody advise me how to relink the managed media? During the locate process I cannot right click on the library to show package contents.

Thank you

(late 2013 MBP 15-inch, Mojave 10.14.6 (18G5033), FPCX 10.4.9 build 376482)

MacBook Pro Retina

Posted on Jan 31, 2021 1:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 1, 2021 1:18 AM

It’s good that you posted this screenshot. Now we see the actual error message is “missing camera”, so the clips failed to import completely. Connect the camera or card and do File->Import->Reimport from Camera/Archive.

Do not remove the card until there is no more activity in the Background Tasks window (press command-9 to see that window).

Similar questions

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 1, 2021 1:18 AM in response to Andy_1970s

It’s good that you posted this screenshot. Now we see the actual error message is “missing camera”, so the clips failed to import completely. Connect the camera or card and do File->Import->Reimport from Camera/Archive.

Do not remove the card until there is no more activity in the Background Tasks window (press command-9 to see that window).

Feb 1, 2021 9:44 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Luis, after finishing the editing of all the files I shut down fcp and restarted it a few hours later and once again there was a ´missing camera´ file.

I looked in the folder ´original media´ and noticed that the file was there. I also noticed that they were imported twice.

Missing files previously:

Contents of folder ´Original media´ after reimporting:

So the files where there but fcp had to import them again for some reason.

Any idea what the cause of this could be?

Feb 1, 2021 12:56 AM in response to Andy_1970s

I also noticed that fcp crashes when I start it this morning. I then restart and can send report to apple. This is some of the report (don´t know if it makes any sense to you):

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)

Exception Codes: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE at 0x00007ffee2ffff88

Exception Note: EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Termination Signal: Segmentation fault: 11

Termination Reason: Namespace SIGNAL, Code 0xb

Terminating Process: exc handler [1039]

I have updated my fcp last week I think it was..maybe this last update is causing the problem?

I also see Namespace SIGNAL. Is this a reference to the Signal messaging app? I will remove the app and see what happens.

relink managed media

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.