Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Second iPhone Back-up?

I had my older iPhone backed up to my current iTunes. I now have replaced that with a newer iPhone. I don't want to replace the old back-up but would like to archive that separately first before synching this newer phone. How would I go about doing this?

iPhone 7

Posted on Feb 1, 2021 7:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 1, 2021 7:38 AM

Make sure that the devices have different names before backup, as outlined in Change the name of your iPhone, iPad or iPod using your computer – Apple Support.

6 replies

Feb 1, 2021 10:07 AM in response to julia123

julia123 wrote:
Thank you! This will work. Do you know where I can locate the last backup from my previous phone? I see where it offers me the choice to use that or set up as new but not where the actual file is.

What operating system are you using?

If you are using Catalina, or Big Sur you can find it in this screenshot (Manage Backups...):

If using iTunes on an older device this screenshot demonstrates how to view the backups (iTunes>Preferences>Devices);

Feb 2, 2021 4:03 PM in response to Ferd II

Thanks! I am using Catalina. I am actually trying to find the old iPhones back-up folder location so I can drag it to a back up drive if possible.

Also, when it gives me the choice to 'set up as a new iPhone', I just want to confirm it isn't going to wipe my phone. I don't like my music to link to my phone either so I want to avoid that. It already links up fine to my photos app so I don't need to 'link' anything other than backing up my texts and contacts.

Second iPhone Back-up?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.