Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari "You Are Not Connected to the Internet" despite Chrome, Firefox working properly

My Mac is connected to the internet. Chrome, Firefox, and all other applications are working properly. However, Safari reports "You Are Not Connected to the Internet" for every site.

I've cleared all site data, disabled all plugins, verified network settings, and taken numerous other steps in an attempt to resolve the issue, but Safari remains broken.

I'm not sure what else to try.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Feb 1, 2021 10:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 6, 2021 10:56 AM

Boot into Safe Mode by booting with the Shift key held down and check there to see if the problem persists.  Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 10 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 6, 2021 10:56 AM in response to hstenzel

Boot into Safe Mode by booting with the Shift key held down and check there to see if the problem persists.  Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 10 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

Feb 3, 2021 12:14 PM in response to hstenzel

Hey there hstenzel,

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities. We understand you’re getting an error message when working in Safari. We’ll be happy to help with this.

It sounds like you’ve taken some good steps so far. Just to be sure, please review the following article and make sure you’ve covered all steps there as they could provide a resolution to this issue:

If Safari doesn't open a webpage or isn’t working as expected

We hope this helps.

Take care.

Feb 6, 2021 10:06 AM in response to BobTheFisherman

Thanks for the suggestion!

I made sure that Safari was stopped by double-clicking on Safari the task bar, clicking quit, observing the dot disappear, killing all processes in Activity Monitor that match `safari`, then force killing any stragglers. After that I shift-clicked on Safari to launch it in a clean state.

After doing all this, I still see the problem despite being connected to and using this forum at the same time via Chrome.

It seems like there's some much deeper integration that Safari is relying upon that has failed. I just have no idea what that might be.

--Harley

Safari "You Are Not Connected to the Internet" despite Chrome, Firefox working properly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.