Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When to give up on migration from one iMac to another

Migration assistant has been transferring data via ethernet cable from my old iMac to a new one for 30 hours. For 10 hours, there was apparent progress, but for the last eighteen hours, it shows 20 minutes remaining to complete migration. When do I give up?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Feb 1, 2021 12:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 2, 2021 8:49 AM

I understand, going forward... when doing a major undertaking like a migration you may want to check on the Apple Support forums first to get some advice with those that have lots of experience. They can advise you on how to make difficult things go smoothly.

You can always do an erase and then do the migration per my directions if you want to start over. However, of course that is up to you if you feel its necessary.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 2, 2021 8:49 AM in response to richmoran48

I understand, going forward... when doing a major undertaking like a migration you may want to check on the Apple Support forums first to get some advice with those that have lots of experience. They can advise you on how to make difficult things go smoothly.

You can always do an erase and then do the migration per my directions if you want to start over. However, of course that is up to you if you feel its necessary.

Feb 3, 2021 6:50 PM in response to richmoran48

1. Yes, I think you should erase, however, if possible, I think it is better to manually copy your files back to the Mac, once the erase is complete.
  2. Like I said above, I would recommend manually copying your files to an external hard dive, using copy and paste or "drag and drop".

When you are ready to erase and reinstall, follow this guide:

1. Verify all your data is backed up to an external hard drive using "copy and pate" or "drag and drop".
  2. Sign out of your Apple ID in System Preferences > Apple ID/iCloud > Sign Out
  3. Shut down the iMac
  4. Turn on the iMac, and immediately press and hold Option + Command + R until you see a spinning globe.
  5. Once you are in macOS Recovery, verify you are connected to WiFi in the top right corner.
  6. Go to Disk Utility.
  7. Select "View" in the toolbar > "Show All Devices".
  8. Select your main hard drive. This will either be "APPLE SSD...", "APPLE HDD...", or "Fusion Drive".
  9. Click Erase, and input the following exactly
  10. Name: Macintosh HD
  11. Format: APFS
  12. Scheme: GUID Partition Map
  13. Click Erase
  14. Quit Disk Utility
  15. Go to the reinstall macOS app.
  16. Follow the prompts, and install on Macintosh HD.
  17. Once done, setup your Mac, again, and once setup, drag and drop or copy your files back to the iMac.

I hope this helps, and I think this should solve your issue.

Cheers,

Jack

Feb 1, 2021 8:35 PM in response to Jack-19

350 gigs.

It's going from a very slow hard drive (from a mid 2013 iMac) to a new 27 inch 2020 iMac.

It would be helpful if migration assistant report something more than "Transferring documents for the user System Administrator" and "time left about twenty minutes." There have been twenty minutes left for the last 26 hours.

The program does not seem totally unresponsive. When recently I tried unplugging the ethernet cord and replugging it in, the program shifted momentarily to "peer to peer via wifi."

Thanks for pondering, Jack.

Rich

Feb 1, 2021 9:42 PM in response to richmoran48

When you buy a new Mac the easiest, quickest and most reliable method is to simply connect the old Mac's Time Machine External Hard Disk to the new Mac using a USB cable before you turn on the new Mac. When you start the new Mac for the first time it will startup Setup Assistant (SA), SA will get to a point where it asks if you are migrating from another computer, select Yes  and follow the on-screen prompts and it's done! It is THAT simple. DO NOT use Wi-Fi, Ethernet, etc. only use a USB cable, why because it's dead reliable and it works every time.

If you have already done SA on the new computer then simply connect the Time Machine External Hard Disk using a USB cable and launch Migration Assistant (MA) which is located in Applications - Utilities - MA. Then follow the on-screen prompts. 

The ONLY difference between MA and SA is MA will create a new user account that you need to log into.

Both SA and MA migrate applications (not 32 bit apps) , data files, settings, it does not migrate Mac OS itself. Some professional apps such as Adobe and Microsoft apps may require re-installing their apps as they will not allow them to be migrated. As long as you kept the security keys for installing their apps, it is not a big deal. 

Feb 3, 2021 5:27 PM in response to rkaufmann87

Thanks for your continuing help.

I had some very incomplete success with the migration I was attempting via ethernet cable from old iMac to new iMac.

The applications did migrate, but that's about all.

I feel I should start again from scratch, using your directions. Two questions follow from that decision.

(1) Is it wiser to erase the new iMac's drive since it may have corruptions from a final interrupted migration. If so, how shall I get to a clean state?

(2) I plan to work from a time machine backup that I am going to create tonight. The contents of that backup will be more than will fit on the 512 SSD on my new iMac. Is there a way to make the migration move contents to not only the internal SSD but also an external SSD. Or will I have to choose what goes on the SSD and what does not? And then load the other contents onto the external drive later on?

Thank you.

Feb 3, 2021 7:28 PM in response to Jack-19

Jack, thanks a lot for the painstaking and thorough instructions. I think I understand the virtue of what you're suggesting. Would this method of manually copying files, however, leave me without the convenience of transferring various preferences and settings into the right locations in the new iMac? Is that something that transferring from Time Machines would afford me.

Feb 3, 2021 7:31 PM in response to richmoran48

I think I get what you are saying.

For settings, such as desktop picture, that would have to be set again by the user.

Also, as an example, say you copy the contents of the documents folder, then you erase. Once the iMac is setup again, just copy and paste the contents into the new Documents folder.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Jack

When to give up on migration from one iMac to another

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.