Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

where is my music stored? Is it backed up?

I ordered a new iMac which will be here in a few days. I'm worried I will lose Music (formerly iTunes)--is it backed up in my Time Machine?

Posted on Feb 1, 2021 3:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 1, 2021 3:59 PM

If you have set Time Machine to backup your hard drive, then it includes the Music folder which should hold your iTunes / Music library.

You can of course back it up independently from the Music folder in your User profile folder.

See here: link -> Change where your music files are stored on Mac - Apple Support

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 1, 2021 3:59 PM in response to melissahh625

If you have set Time Machine to backup your hard drive, then it includes the Music folder which should hold your iTunes / Music library.

You can of course back it up independently from the Music folder in your User profile folder.

See here: link -> Change where your music files are stored on Mac - Apple Support

Feb 1, 2021 4:06 PM in response to melissahh625

Music is backed up to iCloud, if you’re using Apple Music, or iTunes Match service.

Use iCloud Music Library on PC - Apple Support

Music stored locally is backed up in Time Machine.

How to back up your Mac - Official Apple Support

Here’s a description of how to create an additional backup:

https://www.imore.com/how-back-your-itunes-library

Here’s how to back up the contents of iCloud:

Archive or make copies of the information you store in iCloud - Apple Support

And since you mention iTunes, and have a new Mac arriving:

What happened to iTunes? - Apple Support

Feb 1, 2021 4:20 PM in response to melissahh625

When you buy a new Mac the easiest, quickest and most reliable method is to simply connect the old Mac's Time Machine External Hard Disk to the new Mac using a USB cable before you turn on the new Mac. When you start the new Mac for the first time it will startup Setup Assistant (SA), SA will get to a point where it asks if you are migrating from another computer, select Yes  and follow the on-screen prompts and it's done! It is THAT simple.

If you have already done SA on the new computer then simply connect the Time Machine External Hard Disk using a USB cable and launch Migration Assistant (MA) which is located in Applications - Utilities - MA. Then follow the on-screen prompts.

The ONLY difference between MA and SA is MA will create a new user account that you need to log into.

Both SA and MA migrate applications (not 32 bit apps) , data files, settings, it does not migrate Mac OS itself. Some professional apps such as Adobe and Microsoft apps may require re-installing their apps as they will not allow them to be migrated. As long as you kept the security keys for installing their apps, it is not a big deal.

where is my music stored? Is it backed up?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.