Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Big Sur 11.2 update hanging

I am attempting to update my intel mbp from 11.1 to 11.2. The update hangs at “Preparing macOS Big Sur 11.2 Update” with “about 10 minutes remaining” for hours with no sign of success. I have found instances of people having a similar problem with both the 11.1 update and the 11.2 beta update. The only solution I have seen in forums is to do the update while in safe mode. This does not fix the problem, the update hangs at the same point for me within safe mode. Any fixes I can try?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.1

Posted on Feb 1, 2021 4:26 PM

84 replies

Feb 27, 2021 4:48 AM in response to Gary Robbins

Are there any AntiVirus, Disk Cleaner, Optimizers, Defrag, VPNs etc installed which should be removed as per Developers Instructions. They are useless, unneeded, cause havoc and interfere with the normal operation of the OS. The Built-in Security of Big Sur is all that is required. If this does Not Apply - Disregard

If doing over wifi - it is very iffy but doable. Better results via Ethernet connection.

If over Ethernet is used, suggest Shutdown Router. Shutdown computer. Restart Router then same to computer but hold Shift Immediately at startup. Safe Mode does a Repair Disk, clears cache files and only load Apple Software and fonts - loads slowly - Normal. Try again.

If over Wifi - same as ethernet Router and computer restart and Safe Mode except disconnect ALL Other devices using the Wifi - want Max Bandwidth to this computer and try again.

Feb 6, 2021 10:33 AM in response to Swisztony

ok, now I’m going to restate the original issue;

1. M1 does not go into Safe Mode = no fix
  2. M1 does not go into recovery mode = no fix

only method found to work is close out of the stuck download, restart and then download from App Store. The MacOS image will be 11.2, its circa 12GB. It doesn’t what is open on your Mac or connected to, you reinstall and when it restarts all your apps are still there and open as though nothing had happened.

This version still does not the WiFi Finder to iPhone sync bug, rather frustrating...

Feb 3, 2021 8:36 AM in response to Gary Robbins

My MacBook is a new M1 Pro. This update is stuck at "preparing... about 15 minutes remaining"

I have tried to enter safe mode and reinstall from recovery as suggested. The MacBook will not allow me to enter safe mode or recovery mode. I have tried to clear PRAM. Got me beat, I have used safe mode on this machine before without issues.

Feb 3, 2021 2:44 PM in response to ematics

I just got back in the game by booting my macbook pro and holding the option key. It provides you the option to select the boot device. Hold the option key until your hard disk shows up. After that you can select your disk and it brings you "at least in my case" in the boot recovery menu where your can reinstall the OS.

I did this but it got stuck again on a grey screen, but after booting again with holding the shift key I could enter the safe boot mode. Lauched App Store. Downloaded the 11.2 image to my machine and started the install and voila after 45 minutes it all came back to normal.

I hope this helps other people to get around the issue.

For our friends at Apple: please fix this issue, because it is a crappy way to upgrade your system and most non-techie savvy folks will be stuck when this happens to them.

Feb 5, 2021 6:16 AM in response to Gary Robbins

I had the same problem. Originally I couldn't get it to load at all. I rang Apple tech support and we solved it. The first thing to do is shut down the MacBook for 5 minutes then try again. It didn't work - it downloaded the 3.69 Gb but hung at the 10 minute preparation phase.

Apple support then said to close down the MacBook again and restart in safe mode. This is done by keeping the shift key pressed just after you re-start the Macbook. I then started the update again and it went all the way through. 

I'm now updated to Big Sur 11.2. The support guy did say that he had had a look and there were other people with exactly the same problem. Hope this helps.

Big Sur 11.2 update hanging

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.