Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Backing up photos

I just bought another external hard drive and only want to save the 60,000 or so images and videos on my iMac. Can I back up just the photos and not everything else on this computer? Thank you

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Feb 2, 2021 11:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 2, 2021 12:26 PM

You could simply drag the Photos Library from your Pictures folder to a folder on your new external volume.

Or, if you want to use Time Machine to make incremental backups of your Photos, use the exclude list in the System preferences > Time Machine to exclude all folders but your Pictures folder from the backup.

See: Back up your Mac with Time Machine

• "To exclude items from your backup, open Time Machine preferences, click Options, then click the add (+) button to add an item to be excluded. To stop excluding an item, such as an external hard drive, select the item and click the remove (–) button.

"

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 2, 2021 12:26 PM in response to bobbarnard

You could simply drag the Photos Library from your Pictures folder to a folder on your new external volume.

Or, if you want to use Time Machine to make incremental backups of your Photos, use the exclude list in the System preferences > Time Machine to exclude all folders but your Pictures folder from the backup.

See: Back up your Mac with Time Machine

• "To exclude items from your backup, open Time Machine preferences, click Options, then click the add (+) button to add an item to be excluded. To stop excluding an item, such as an external hard drive, select the item and click the remove (–) button.

"

Backing up photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.