Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bluetooth issues not solved by Big Sur 11.2

I have managed to upgrade to BS 11.2 on my M1 MBP but I still cannot connect/pair with the few Bluetooth devices that I tried.

Anyone in the same boat, or have you managed to solve your BT issues with the update?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Feb 2, 2021 12:24 PM

Similar questions

12 replies

Feb 3, 2021 1:50 PM in response to Patchew

Hellow fellow M1 silicon bluetooth sufferers from the UK. I eagerly downloaded Big Sur 11.2 earlier today on my M1 MBA hoping the bluetooth issues would be gone as many online article declares. Well for me it ain't so great. I have since tried three devices (all speakers). I can say without reservation that getting any actuall audio out of any of them has been an abject failure. They all make the noises that sound like successful connection has been made but whatever handshake is supposed to take place to instantiate audio streaming simply doesn't happen.

Devices that have failed so far:

• Anker Soundcore 2
  • Anker Soundcore Boost
  • Anker Soundcore Motion+

OK not a particularly representative sample perhaps but all of the above have been pretty dependable on Bluetooth. The Soundcore Boost did once pair with the MBA but this was before any updates, now it is just as silent as the other two units. I hear rather depressingly that even shelling out for Apple Airpods does not guaruntee success as there have been noted cases of those not working either.

Feb 4, 2021 3:33 AM in response to SteveForrest

I have used Macs forever, and have always found them to have pretty terrible BT implementation.

Big Sur on M1 Macs looks like their worst effort yet; even their own peripherals can't connect!

I read this somewhere:

1. Switch off your Mac's BT.
  2. Switch off your Mac's wifi.
  3. Switch on your Mac's BT.
  4. Pair with your device.
  5. Switch your Mac's wifi back on.

Didn't work for me, but might for you.

(Pairing should in theory be much easier with Apple products.)

Feb 4, 2021 4:00 AM in response to EuphonyX

Hello!

I don't have any Anker devices, so I can't offer any comment on the subject.

What little I've been able to find out is that it certainly seems to be a software problem.

Which means, hopefully, that it has a good chance of being fixed at some point.

Meanwhile, try this:

1. Switch off your Mac's BT.
  2. Switch off your Mac's wifi.
  3. Switch on your Mac's BT.
  4. Pair with your device.
  5. Switch your Mac's wifi back on.

Fingers crossed.

Feb 4, 2021 6:16 AM in response to Patchew

The way my Logitech keyboard is behaving is:

1. I can pair the keyboard and it seems to work fine after pairing; however...
  2. When I shut down the M1 and/or restart, the keyboard isn't recognized at the sign-in screen (that was a huge problem when I didn't have a USB keyboard and had not paired the older Apple BT keyboard; I had a Mac Mini Brick...);
  3. When I get signed back in (via USB or Apple BT keyboard) the Logitech keyboard works just fine again; i.e. no "re-pairing" needed.
  4. My Magic Mouse works fine pretty much all the time (it drops out occasionally, but it did that with my 2016 MacBook Air).

Here's a suggestion to any Apple engineer who might be monitoring this thread. First, the obvious: Fix the BT issue. Second, include at the sign-in screen a "virtual keyboard" so that a person having trouble with their BT keyboard can use the mouse to sign-in by clicking on the letters for their sign-in.

Feb 5, 2021 10:27 AM in response to Dobby218

I contacted Logitech about my issue with the K780 Keyboard. They just responded:

"If your Bluetooth mouse or keyboard does not reconnect after a reboot at the login screen and only reconnects after the login, this might be related to FileVault encryption.

When FileVault is enabled, Bluetooth mice and keyboards will only re-connect after login.

Potential solutions:

• If your Logitech device came with a USB receiver, using it will solve the issue.
  • Use your MacBook keyboard and trackpad to login.
  • Use a USB keyboard or mouse to login."

I turned off FileVault and my M1 Mac Mini recognized my keyboard at the login. So the keyboard problem is fixed, but maybe at the expense of security. Not sure why FileVault isn't an issue with my iMac wireless keyboard or Magic Mouse. Seems like Apple still has a bug to work out since this wasn't a problem with my Intel Macbook Air.

Hope this info helps.

Feb 3, 2021 6:40 AM in response to Patchew

I have the M1 Mac Mini and upgraded to BS 11.2. My Logitech K780 keyboard will pair up, but when you re-start it doesn't work. I have to use a USB or the original mac keyboard that came with my 2009 iMac just to log in. Once in, the keyboard is recognized. This is actually the same problem I had before the update, so no change.

The Logitech keyboard has a USB "unifying" device that works fine, but it takes up a USB port. I might as well plug in the USB keyboard (which I had to go out and buy just to log onto the computer after purchase).

Yours is the only post I've found online about the continuing bluetooth issue.

Feb 4, 2021 3:51 AM in response to Dobby218

I never use the Logitech dongle/unifying device.

Only bluetooth, to streamline the hardware experience. (After all, that's what it's there for!)

My main issue is I cannot get my Logitech Anywhere 2S mouse to pair.

Couldn't before BS 11.2 and still can't now.

It may be because the mouse is one of those that can pair with 3 different devices and switches when a button under the mouse is pressed. Haven't tried with a "single device" Logi mouse.

Strangely, though, the M1 had no issues pairing with my Klipsch T5 wireless earphones.

These are notoriously difficult to pair properly with most devices.

I don't think Apple's latest BT software likes Logi products.

So it would seem that Logi users will just have to keep on the upgrade path.

Feb 15, 2021 9:42 AM in response to EuphonyX

Just an update on my version of Bluetooth issue which has ended happily albeit contingent on things working out consistanly over time.

Two developments have taken place which have lead to happy resolution.

i) Big Sur 11.2.1 came out and was installed.

ii) I had a chat with Apple this evening who were very helpful after they reached out in response to my comment on this thread.

The result of which is that I now understand that when you connect a bluetooth audio device in most cases the audio should be automatically routed through the device, however if you installed shims that install virtual audio input or output devices in the system one of these may be selected rather than your Blutooth device of choice. If you click the "control centre" icon in the menu bar and then click the word "Sound" above the silder it will show audio endpoints that audio can be routed to if there are more than one of these. Once I had selected the device I connected all seemed well for two devices. I am not sure if the OS will remember the choices between connections so I will have to monitor.

Moral of the story for me is that if it looks like your bluetooth audio device connects but your sound is stuck where it was click "Sound" in the "Control Centre" and check what sound endpoint is shown and make sure it is selected.

Hopefully this might help someone else in future.

It looks like 11.3 will likely drop in March so maybe further incremental improvements are made that fix the remainder of bluetooth issues as other updates have partially helped with.

Good luck to anyone else still struggling.

Bluetooth issues not solved by Big Sur 11.2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.