Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mac bookpro battery symbol

So I have a feeling I already know but wanted to confirm. Lately my battery icon sometimes changes from the lightening bolt symbol to this symbol shown below. I have already made an apple appointment since I have a feeling this means my charger isn't charging. I have tried changing ports, i tried buying a new charger and this still happens. Can someone tell me exactly what this symbol means?

Posted on Feb 2, 2021 12:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 2, 2021 7:46 PM

Hi turq99,

Thanks for that additional information. If that symbol pops up only when your Mac is fully charged, then it's perfectly normal.

When that symbol appears, the following occurs:

• Your Mac doesn't draw power from the battery inside. It relies completely on the power adapter that is connected. (If you remove the power adapter, it will start drawing power from the battery again as expected.)
  • Your Mac does not charge the internal battery. This can be due either to it already being fully charged (as in your case), or the Mac is trying to preserve the battery's longevity.
3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 2, 2021 7:46 PM in response to turq99

Hi turq99,

Thanks for that additional information. If that symbol pops up only when your Mac is fully charged, then it's perfectly normal.

When that symbol appears, the following occurs:

• Your Mac doesn't draw power from the battery inside. It relies completely on the power adapter that is connected. (If you remove the power adapter, it will start drawing power from the battery again as expected.)
  • Your Mac does not charge the internal battery. This can be due either to it already being fully charged (as in your case), or the Mac is trying to preserve the battery's longevity.

Feb 2, 2021 2:31 PM in response to turq99

Hi turq99,

When you see the symbol that you posted here, your Mac is operating using AC power, but is not charging the battery. This is likely due to your Mac trying to preserve the battery's long-term life.

In System Preferences -> Battery -> Battery, try disabling these options if you feel that they are the cause of the issue:

• Optimized Battery Charging: When this is enabled, your Mac doesn't charge the battery until soon before it thinks you'll use it.
  • Battery Health -> Manage battery longevity (Intel only): Your Mac uses less of the battery's capacity in order to preserve the battery's long-term life.

If none of those help, enable them again, then reset the SMC if your Mac has an Intel processor.

Feb 2, 2021 2:42 PM in response to Encryptor5000

Thanks for your help. I am not sure I fully understand it. This is new to me compared to my old mac laptop. Are you saying its not normally an issue when this battery plug symbol comes up? Is this normal? It only seems to pop up when my mac is fully charged. I talked to mac support and he told me its a normal symbol. as in it has two different battery modes?

mac bookpro battery symbol

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.