Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

M1 Macbook panic after sleep in 11.2

I updated to 11.2 today and since then it seems like when it goes to sleep I get panics and restarts.

Sleep transition timed out after 35 seconds while calling power state change callbacks.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.0

Posted on Feb 2, 2021 6:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 11, 2021 7:55 PM

Are you connecting your M1 MBP to any sort of dock by chance?

I'm at wit's end with this exact wake-from-sleep kernel panic. I thought it was originally related to using my M1 MBP with a CalDigit TS3+ Thunderbolt Dock, but it just happened when I reconnected my MBP to a Thunderbolt Display on one TB3 port and to an OWC USB-C travel dock on the other (2 SanDisk Ultra flash drives were connected to the dock).

I've completely reinitialized my machine via DFU restore and set it up from scratch (i.e. I did not migrate from a backup), and this is still happening. I've even filed a feedback report: FB8969561.

This has been happening since I received the M1 MBP in mid-December, Mac OS 11.1. It checks out fine using the built-in diagnostics. I haven't experienced this degree of instability since the pre-OS X days.

Once again it appears that Apple's hardware is ahead of its software. I would really appreciate it if Apple could fix these kernel panics.

16 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 11, 2021 7:55 PM in response to DoubleOPinter

Are you connecting your M1 MBP to any sort of dock by chance?

I'm at wit's end with this exact wake-from-sleep kernel panic. I thought it was originally related to using my M1 MBP with a CalDigit TS3+ Thunderbolt Dock, but it just happened when I reconnected my MBP to a Thunderbolt Display on one TB3 port and to an OWC USB-C travel dock on the other (2 SanDisk Ultra flash drives were connected to the dock).

I've completely reinitialized my machine via DFU restore and set it up from scratch (i.e. I did not migrate from a backup), and this is still happening. I've even filed a feedback report: FB8969561.

This has been happening since I received the M1 MBP in mid-December, Mac OS 11.1. It checks out fine using the built-in diagnostics. I haven't experienced this degree of instability since the pre-OS X days.

Once again it appears that Apple's hardware is ahead of its software. I would really appreciate it if Apple could fix these kernel panics.

Feb 17, 2021 3:22 AM in response to DoubleOPinter

I'm facing same issue after update to Big Sur (MacBook Pro Retina 13-inch Mid 2014).

I didn't connect to anything, not even power source. I just close the lid after every use, but next day when I open the lid, the screen won't light up, until I press power button... After it boot up it shows me "You shutdown your computer because of a problem" but I didn't...

It happened 3 times already... Never encounter this issue before update to Big Sur.

Feb 25, 2021 9:46 AM in response to odysseus

By the way, I don't have high hopes for Apple Support finding a solution. I've provided sysdiag logs and other documentation, and "engineering" found some sort of sync error therein and requests that I disable all of my sync utilities (Dropbox, Google Backup & Sync, and Arq -- used by millions) and that I reproduce the problem and provide logs again!

Blaming a wake transition kernel panic on sync makes no sense whatsoever, especially when it appears closely related to the Apple Thunderbolt Display.

It's still worth filing a report, though. The more there are, the greater the chance that this problem will attract attention.

Feb 25, 2021 4:28 PM in response to odysseus

I actually posted this (and been submitting error reports as well as get it to them directly in an open case) because I don't feel like they have a handle on it yet and more people posting will let them see there is an actual issue in Big Sur. Agreed, this is definitely not a sync problem and one that ONLY appeared after I upgraded to Big Sur. They'll patch it eventually...

M1 Macbook panic after sleep in 11.2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.