Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why single file downloads uses around 5% of my bandwidth, while multiple downloads simultaneously uses 100% bandwidth?

Why should I ask to the community?

Since, update from Sierra to HighSierra this problem is existed and always hoped that the next OS update may fix the issue.

Now, using Big Sur 11.1 but still the download speed issue is existed.

[Edited by Moderator]

Posted on Feb 3, 2021 3:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 3, 2021 3:23 AM

This is a user forum.

Nobody here works for Apple.

The answer to the question in the title is fairly obvious.

The speed of a download depends on the medium (your connection to the server), the server and the client.

You may have, say, a 200Mbps link, but the server may not serve you a dowload that fast. If you are downloading several things at once they will use the available bandwidth. Simple.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 3, 2021 3:23 AM in response to irejwanul2

This is a user forum.

Nobody here works for Apple.

The answer to the question in the title is fairly obvious.

The speed of a download depends on the medium (your connection to the server), the server and the client.

You may have, say, a 200Mbps link, but the server may not serve you a dowload that fast. If you are downloading several things at once they will use the available bandwidth. Simple.

Feb 4, 2021 6:52 AM in response to irejwanul2

What etresoft said... and, just as an example, I was able to download that Visual Studio Code for Mac at about 20Mbps, so there are a lot of factors in play. FWIW, I am on my home wifi and a speed test tells me I could reach 80Mbps. Yes, I have a fairly speedy internet connection.

It may also be that you have installed some software in your mac that results in a lower bandwidth. Stuff like antivirus, or network monitoring stuff like Little Snitch, or possibly other things could get in the way.

And concerning Apple watching this forum: yes, it is monitored, but not as way to get user feedback. It is mostly to ensure that users follow the rules. If you have relevant feedback to provide, you should use the feedback page:

http://www.apple.com/feedback

Feb 4, 2021 6:32 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

This is User Forum indeed. But, the Apple Inc. and its Administrators or Developers are obviously keeping an eye for betterment of the OS features or solving the issues.

Anyway, let get back to the topic, you might have slightly missed the concept.

I will put an example for better understanding...

Scene 1:

1. Download the 'Visual Studio Code for Mac' in MacOS Big Sur - at 100kbps
  2. Download the 'Visual Studio Code for PC' in Windows 10 - at 900kbps

Both the files coming from Microsoft Server

Scene 2:

1. Download the 'Visual Studio Code for Mac' in MacOS Big Sur - at 100kbps
  2. Download the 'Xcode' in MacOS Big Sur - at 100kbps

Now the total speed in 'Activity Monitor' is 200kbps

And, if more downloads add to the list, it will increase the download speed to the maximum available bandwidth.

Feb 4, 2021 7:58 AM in response to irejwanul2

Dear friends,

Just see these screenshots then you will understand that the bug resides in macOS.

Scene 1: Downloading [Update] three Apps [Numbers, Pages and KeyNote]

The download speed in Activity Monitor is 135kbps.

Scene 2: Added 'MySql Community MSI Installer' into download race.

Now, the download speed for 'MySql Installer' is about 120kbps and total download speed in 'Activity Monitor' is around 250kbps.

Feb 4, 2021 6:46 AM in response to irejwanul2

Both Apple and Microsoft use a worldwide network of content delivery servers. Every time you start a big download, it is likely to pick a different server. Those servers only have a limited amount of bandwidth and thousands of simultaneous downloads going at any time. I can assure you that macOS is able to saturate your internet connection. The trick is to find a server that is idle enough to reach your bandwidth speed but also pays for a good enough connection on the server side to reach your bandwidth speed.

Feb 5, 2021 12:34 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Here you should suggest a solution if you can, but few guys are just opposing the topic like it is something to debate rather than a technical soluble matter.

I never wrote in a forum of Apple Inc before. This is my first time, because I know Apple Inc staffs rarely solve any issue arose from the Users.

Anyway, some community members are responding this is positive.

Feb 6, 2021 9:33 PM in response to etresoft

Hi,

Can you provide the Screenshot of Activity Monitor for updating macOS?

If your update can receive 500kbps or more from Apple Server, then what is the problem with my Mac?

And, if you talking about my Network Connection, then

how it is possible to increases to 17mbps while downloading many content from Apple, Microsoft and other Servers?

Why single file downloads uses around 5% of my bandwidth, while multiple downloads simultaneously uses 100% bandwidth?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.