Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Big Sur and Canon printers

I have an iMac recently updated to Big Sur. My printer, a Canon Pixma MG6120, seemed to work ok for the most part (scanner wouldn't work), but since themes recent software update yesterday, my printer won't work at all. Canon's website does not offer a printer driver for Big Sur. Does this mean that I need to buy a new printer now? This is very frustrating!

iMac 27″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Feb 3, 2021 2:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 4, 2021 7:25 PM

jarsmac Said:

"Big Sur and Canon printers: I have an iMac recently updated to Big Sur. My printer, a Canon Pixma MG6120, seemed to work ok for the most part (scanner wouldn't work), but since themes recent software update yesterday, my printer won't work at all. Canon's website does not offer a printer driver for Big Sur. Does this mean that I need to buy a new printer now? This is very frustrating!"

-------

Inform Apple of This:

Canon probably has yet to do their part in Big Sur capabilities.  Apple and Canon are two separate companies. So, let Apple know about this incompatibility issue.  Apple won't get back to you directly, but the more feedback they receive on this, the more they will know what to include in updates to come.

So, Provide the Feedback:

1. Go Here: Feedback - macOS - Apple
  2. Select: "Software/Hardware Compatibility" for the "Feedback Type"
  3. Select: "Printing" for the "Feedback Area"
  4. Proceed from there as necessary
4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 4, 2021 7:25 PM in response to jarsmac

jarsmac Said:

"Big Sur and Canon printers: I have an iMac recently updated to Big Sur. My printer, a Canon Pixma MG6120, seemed to work ok for the most part (scanner wouldn't work), but since themes recent software update yesterday, my printer won't work at all. Canon's website does not offer a printer driver for Big Sur. Does this mean that I need to buy a new printer now? This is very frustrating!"

-------

Inform Apple of This:

Canon probably has yet to do their part in Big Sur capabilities.  Apple and Canon are two separate companies. So, let Apple know about this incompatibility issue.  Apple won't get back to you directly, but the more feedback they receive on this, the more they will know what to include in updates to come.

So, Provide the Feedback:

1. Go Here: Feedback - macOS - Apple
  2. Select: "Software/Hardware Compatibility" for the "Feedback Type"
  3. Select: "Printing" for the "Feedback Area"
  4. Proceed from there as necessary

Feb 4, 2021 7:18 PM in response to jarsmac

Try the Bonjour Multifunction Canon MG6100 Series rather than Canon's IJ driver. There isn't one specifically for Big Sur that I've seen but this is working for me. When I need to use the scanner, I just go through the printers & scanners preference tab. Not as much functionality as the Canon widget but works fine. I've got 27-inch 2017 iMac on 11.2 and a MG6120.

Feb 4, 2021 7:59 PM in response to TheLittles

Thank you so much. I decided to go ahead and buy a new printer, as I have pretty much worn this one out and having difficulty getting ink cartridges. for it. I was just hoping to make it last a few months longer. I'm hoping that when I install it tomorrow, that there will be no problems with drivers. I decided to get the Epson Expression premiumxp-7100. I do a lot of photography, so I need a good photo printer. I'm hoping this one suits my needs. Thanks again for your response.

Feb 4, 2021 8:03 PM in response to jarsmac

jarsmac Said:

"Big Sur and Canon printers: Thank you so much. I decided to go ahead and buy a new printer, as I have pretty much worn this one out and having difficulty getting ink cartridges. for it. I was just hoping to make it last a few months longer. I'm hoping that when I install it tomorrow, that there will be no problems with drivers. I decided to get the Epson Expression premiumxp-7100. I do a lot of photography, so I need a good photo printer. I'm hoping this one suits my needs. Thanks again for your response."

-------

You are welcome.

Big Sur and Canon printers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.