Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV Keyboard on iPhone

I have recently installed a BYOD VPN program on my phone for work. After the install the keyboard function on my phone for my Apple TV no longer connects. It will pop up on my phone but never connects to let you type anything. I have restarted all devices and network devices. I have made sure that I signed into the same acct on both devices. What else could be holding things up. They are clearly seeing each other because it sends the notification but won’t let me type.

iPhone XS, iOS 14

Posted on Feb 3, 2021 6:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 4, 2021 7:42 AM

The devices need to be on the same home network, or it won’t work. The work-VPN seems to route your phone to a different network, making it not a “nearby device” in the network sense.

The devices need to have the same account for iCloud, which is not necessarily the same as the account for the iTunes Store and App Store. Signing out of iCloud, or using a different iCloud account, on either device will break the functionality.

Enter text on your Apple TV - Apple Support

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 4, 2021 7:42 AM in response to Louloladex

The devices need to be on the same home network, or it won’t work. The work-VPN seems to route your phone to a different network, making it not a “nearby device” in the network sense.

The devices need to have the same account for iCloud, which is not necessarily the same as the account for the iTunes Store and App Store. Signing out of iCloud, or using a different iCloud account, on either device will break the functionality.

Enter text on your Apple TV - Apple Support

Feb 4, 2021 8:19 AM in response to Urquhart1244

The VPN only functions when using two apps on my phone for work purposes. Other than that it all runs on my regular network. And as I said, it pushes the notification to my phone for the keyboard but never connects. So it is communicating but something is off. Both are on same iCloud/iTunes/Apple ID whatever metric you want to look at and and both are connected to the 5GHz side of my router.

Apple TV Keyboard on iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.