Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Garage Band on the New M1 - Delete and Recovery Question

Good day. I recently got the M1 MBA and had the App GarageBand Installed with all the instruments. It takes up space (about 64.9Gb worth). I was wondering. If I delete Instrument Library, is there a way for me to download the same if I decide to use GarageBand in the future without resorting to TimeMachine?

Thank you.

DJA

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Feb 4, 2021 6:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 4, 2021 6:29 AM

The answer is yes:

Get more sounds and loops for GarageBand on Mac - Apple Support

2 replies

Feb 4, 2021 7:16 AM in response to DaveJohnAstom

Currently you can download the loops and instruments again, but the next upgrade might change the set of available instruments and loops. I recommend strongly to keep a copy of the instruments and loops on an external volume.

After each major GarageBand upgrade I have been very glad, that I kept the older loops and instruments, or my older projects would be showing missing instruments. The earlier GarageBand versions, (before GarageBand 10) had much more software instrument loops, for example. I prefer the software instrument loops to the newer real instrument loops. They are much more flexible and do need less storage. If you created projects with the current sounds, keep an archive copy in a folder somewhere. Do not rely on Time Machine to archive older software. Time Machine will remove older backups, if it is running out of storage. IT is great to recover older, missing files, but not a full archive of very old files. The history is limited.

Garage Band on the New M1 - Delete and Recovery Question

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.