Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Link Previews Sending in Imessage

Having an issue where I send a link to a video from YouTube and the rich/link preview is not working. It just shows up as a white safari logo and says “youtube”. And that is how it is received by whoever I am sending it to. Also the issue is only happening when I send. If someone were to send me a link, the preview works perfectly fine. Also the issue is only occurring with the YouTube app. All other social media and safari links work and show previews when I send and receive. Anyone else experiencing this issue or know of a fix? Very annoying. Also I’ve attached an example photo in case what I explained above doesn’t quite make sense. Thanks in advance.

Posted on Feb 4, 2021 11:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 9, 2021 11:40 AM

Hello akmuscarella,

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities. We understand that you're experiencing an issue with Preview when sending a link from YouTube. Is this occurring with all contacts or just specific ones?

With the current contact, are they added into your contact list?

What iOS version are they currently using?

What is your current iOS version? Go to Settings > General > About to find it.

Since this is only with YouTube, make sure that it's using the latest update: Update apps or use automatic downloads

Let us know what you find.

Best regards.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 9, 2021 11:40 AM in response to akmuscarella

Hello akmuscarella,

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities. We understand that you're experiencing an issue with Preview when sending a link from YouTube. Is this occurring with all contacts or just specific ones?

With the current contact, are they added into your contact list?

What iOS version are they currently using?

What is your current iOS version? Go to Settings > General > About to find it.

Since this is only with YouTube, make sure that it's using the latest update: Update apps or use automatic downloads

Let us know what you find.

Best regards.

Feb 9, 2021 12:04 PM in response to Missy5937

Hi Missy,

So it is occurring with all my contacts, and yes they are all added to my contacts list.

We are all using the most updated version of iOS (14.4) and the YouTube app (I have uninstalled and reinstalled it even).

I have also discovered since my post above that the problem is only occurring when I am NOT on WiFi.

So when on WiFi, link previews from YouTube both sent and received work as normal.

When not on WiFi, link previews I send only, are not working. They send out like in my picture attached above.

And once again this problem is only occurring with links from YouTube. All other apps and safari links work both on and off WiFi as they normally should.

Feb 9, 2021 3:22 PM in response to akmuscarella

Hello akmuscarella,

Thanks for those details. Let's take a look at your settings to see if there are a few that could be causing this to happen when on cellular only. Please go to Settings > Messages, do you have Low Quality Image Mode enabled? Also, in Settings > Cellular Data Options, is Low Data Mode enabled? If either of these options are ON, go ahead and disable them and test sending a link. 

If the issue persists with these both ON or OFF, go ahead and reach out to YouTube for further assistance.

YouTube Contact Us

Best wishes.

Link Previews Sending in Imessage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.