Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airplay only works when watching a video - Apple TV 3rd Gen

Hello, I purchased a used Apple TV 3rd Gen a while back for my LG TV and it works great on my iPhone 7, 8 and 6+. Any newer iPhone can't connect to Airplay unless a video or song is playing which I find very frustrating. What can be done settings wise? I plan on upgrading my iPhone soon and don't want to lose the basic function of airplay (beyond just streaming video, audio). This removes my ability to scroll through sites/apps and limits me to video and audio. I tested this on several new iPhones and mine always works flawlessly while the new ones don't. Is this a design to promote the newer Apple TV or is there a way to fix it?

Apple TV

Posted on Feb 4, 2021 6:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 5, 2021 2:21 PM

It depends on the app/service, and sometimes even the orientation (portrait/landscape), whether the app does ‘basic’ AirPlay (stream forwarding) or true Screen Mirroring, and whether AirPlay can continue as a background process. This is a developer choice, not a user choice.

The model iPhone shouldn’t be a factor in this.

Use AirPlay to stream video or mirror your device’s screen - Apple Support

If AirPlay or screen mirroring isn’t working on your device - Apple Support

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 5, 2021 2:21 PM in response to SGJ24

It depends on the app/service, and sometimes even the orientation (portrait/landscape), whether the app does ‘basic’ AirPlay (stream forwarding) or true Screen Mirroring, and whether AirPlay can continue as a background process. This is a developer choice, not a user choice.

The model iPhone shouldn’t be a factor in this.

Use AirPlay to stream video or mirror your device’s screen - Apple Support

If AirPlay or screen mirroring isn’t working on your device - Apple Support

Feb 5, 2021 6:31 PM in response to Urquhart1244

I get that some apps restrict or limit the mirroring, the weird thing is that the newer phones can’t mirror the Home Screen, safari, etc. as soon as connecting. It only plays to the tv when a song or video is opened to play. My iPhone 7, and family members’ older models work perfectly in that regard. It’s just that I’ve tried it with 3 other newer phones and get the same result. That’s why I assume it’s a software issue..simply clicking the screen mirror option doesn’t work the same.

Airplay only works when watching a video - Apple TV 3rd Gen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.