Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Converting to Apple lossless

I have a slightly complicated question regarding lossless music and ITunes. When I buy music on ITunes, it downloads in m4a at 256Kbps. There is an option, however, if I go to 'File' then 'Convert' to turn a song into Apple lossless. Then a copy of the song appears in my library. Upon right clicking, selecting 'Song Info', then selecting 'File' in the pop-up window, I can see that the Kbps is considerably increased from the previous version of the song I had. It seems to have worked as the file size has gone up and it does appear to be downloading something for a second before appearing in my library, but I also have my reservations. So my question is; did ITunes download a higher sample rate song, or is it the same quality, just sampled more?

Posted on Feb 4, 2021 9:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 4, 2021 11:09 PM

Hi,

Purchased tracks will be 256 Kbps. There is no benefit in converting them to ALAC as all you will be getting is larger files with no improvement in sound quality.

Jim

1 reply

Converting to Apple lossless

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.