Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to connect Apple Pencil 1 to iPad Pro 2020 (no lightning socket)

Yet again, Apple release a new device without thinking of backward compatibility, and more importantly without including any adapters with the device. I want to connect my Apple Pencil 1 to my new iPad Pro 2020 model (USB-C)

iPad Pro, iPadOS 14

Posted on Feb 5, 2021 12:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 5, 2021 2:54 AM

The first and second generation Pencil use an entirely different pairing and charging interface. The second generation Pencil can only be used with iPad models that have the magnetic/inductive dock that is exclusively designed for the Pencil. A software update or plug-in adapter cannot add electronic hardware that the iPad does not possess.

The first generation Apple Pencil, compatible with your old iPad, uses the physical Lightning port for both pairing and charging the first generation Pencil. This pencil can only be used with compatible iPad models that have a Lightning connector.

Apple are very clear in identifying compatibility of first and second generation Apple Pencil - and the models of iPad with which they can be used:

Apple Pencil compatibility - Apple Support

In summary, the Apple Pencil models are not interchangeable - and can only be used with the iPad that has appropriate internal hardware.

Connect Apple Pencil with your iPad - Apple Support

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 5, 2021 2:54 AM in response to Tonys264

The first and second generation Pencil use an entirely different pairing and charging interface. The second generation Pencil can only be used with iPad models that have the magnetic/inductive dock that is exclusively designed for the Pencil. A software update or plug-in adapter cannot add electronic hardware that the iPad does not possess.

The first generation Apple Pencil, compatible with your old iPad, uses the physical Lightning port for both pairing and charging the first generation Pencil. This pencil can only be used with compatible iPad models that have a Lightning connector.

Apple are very clear in identifying compatibility of first and second generation Apple Pencil - and the models of iPad with which they can be used:

In summary, the Apple Pencil models are not interchangeable - and can only be used with the iPad that has appropriate internal hardware.

Connect Apple Pencil with your iPad - Apple Support

Feb 5, 2021 3:07 AM in response to LotusPilot

I appreciate that it is impossible to connect the two items directly, but your answer relates only to hardware and physical connection. Could you please confirm if I will be able to link the Apple Pencil (1) with my new iPad if I purchase an adapter from lightning female socket to USB-C male. Apple are already falling short of my expectations with the accessories included in the new iPad. Apple have only supplied a charger and cable for USB-C, which has limited use. the absence of a 3.5mm jack for headphones is also annoying. Yet again, Apple give no consideration for backwards compatibility. Knowing the absence of the 3.5mm jack socket, I already bought the Apple USB-C to 3.5mm adapter. This morning, my brand new £1100 iPad Pro will not connect to my 2015 iMac. So I now need to buy another lead to go from USB-A male to USB-C male. In our family, we have an iPhone XR, iPhone 11 Pro, iPad Pro (Mk1), an iMac 5K, and now a brand new iPad 12.9 2020 model. If Apple cannot see its way to rewarding brand loyalty, then we are going to have to consider moving away from Apple.

Feb 5, 2021 3:54 AM in response to Tonys264

To be clear, the first and second generation Pencil use entirely different charging and pairing interfaces. The two models of Pencil are not interchangeable.

A first generation Pencil is charged via a direct connection to the Pencil; pairing between iPad and Pencil is also performed over a direct Lightning connection of compatible models of iPad. By comparison, the second generation Pencil charges - and initiates pairing - via the proprietary inductive coupling of compatible models of the 2020 iPad Air and 2018/2020 models of iPad Pro.

The two models of Pencil are technically different products designed for entirely different system architectures. A technological analogy might be that of VHS and Betamax video. Both herald from the same era; both are designed to store and play video media - and perform the precisely the same function. However, both the recording tapes and transport mechanisms differ and are not interchangeable between players.

Returning to the Pencil, even if direct connection of a first generation Pencil to a USB-C port were feasible, the 2020 iPad Pro and Air models are not designed to pair with the Pencil over a USB interface.

Industry standard USB-C and Apple’s proprietary Lightning interfaces are entirely different - and without an active interface converter are not inter-workable. The USB-C Audio adapters are not interface converters - but instead contain an audio DAC that is needed to connect analogue headphones.

You appear to be at the crossroads of technology. Apple are, for flagship iPad models and Mac, moving towards the latest industry standard - this being USB-C - and away from proprietary data interfaces. iPhone and standard models of iPad continue to use the proprietary Apple Lightning interface.

Along with much of the consumer product industry, for mobile devices Apple are moving away from providing a direct 3.5mm audio connection in favour of wireless connections. This provides a number of engineering benefits, but also introduces “challenges” for those Users with a desire (or need) to use a wired audio connection.

Technology moves forward. As consumers, we have no alternative other than to move forward with it. We are all free to make choices as to the devices we buy and use - but sooner or later the [current] technologies that we use will be replaced with something new.

It is perhaps true to say that we will forever be in a state of “transition” - no matter whose product(s) we buy.

Feb 5, 2021 4:35 AM in response to Tonys264

Interconnection of USB-C with USB Type-A is trivial - as these are electrically compatible. You just need the correct cable or adapter. In this respect, interconnection of USB-C with other USB connections that preceded it (e.g., USB mini-B and micro-B) are no different.

Assuming that you have an older model Mac with USB Type-A ports - examples available directly from Apple (and other fine retailers):

• mophie USB-A Cable with USB-C Connector (1 m)

https://store.apple.com/uk/xc/product/HN892ZM/A

• mophie USB-A Cable with USB-C Connector (2 m)

https://store.apple.com/uk/xc/product/HN8A2ZM/A

Feb 5, 2021 5:17 AM in response to Tonys264

I can’t send you anything - and neither can any other contributor that participates within the Apple Support Communities. We neither work for, nor represent, Apple in any way.

This is a community forum - where end-users, just like you, try to help with technical issues.

Yes, I fully grasp your issue and your clear frustration. You, having spent a considerable sum of money on Apple products (just like many others), clearly have a personal expectation that you will be provided with a comprehensive box of cables and adapters that will interconnect every Apple product that is in your possession. Apple, in their divine and infinite wisdom, will be able to anticipate every possible combination of device connection that you may wish to attempt.

This comprehensive box of “bits” that you seek, supplied to every customer upon purchase of a new device, of course will not in any way contribute to a mountain of e-waste - when all the un-needed “bits” are inevitably discarded.

So no, sorry, I can’t help you.

Feb 5, 2021 4:13 AM in response to LotusPilot

So basically, I had better give my Apple pencil to my wife, who inherited my iPad Pro Mk1.

Moving on from that conversation, I am now sat looking at a brand new iPad Pro (4th Gen) that, while it has successfully transferred over all old data from the above iPad Pro Mk1, refuses to connect to my iMac for syncing purposes. I have called Support twice now, and have so far not been offered a solution. The problem may well be sorted if I had a means of connecting the iPad Pro to my iMac (2015). If I made a physical connection with the iMac, then maybe it would find the iPad, and I could turn on Wi-Fi syncing. Alas, with no physical way of connecting the two devices, I am effectively screwed. It appears to be the same old Apple approach, e.g. the assumption that everybody can afford to change all of their equipment at the same time, and thus be fully compatible. To date, we have been a loyal "Apple Family". I have my 2015 iMac 5K, a iPhone 11 ProMax (2020), and now a new iPad. My wife has her iPhone XR, 2018 MacBook Pro, and now my old iPad Pro Mk 1. It would be nice if Apple would show some consideration to its loyal supporters by including adapters for backward compatibility with their new products. It seems to be the case that Apple's attitude is "if the peasants can't keep up, its their own problem". I regularly defend Apple in my conversations with friends and family, who have all gone over to Samsung. Its time for Apple to think of the customers first.

Feb 5, 2021 5:01 AM in response to LotusPilot

I don't think that you are grasping my issue here. The inclusion of the compatible connecting leads in the iPad package would cost Apple pennies! Far from being "trivial", the customer experience is appalling! I have already ordered an adapter to connect a USB-C lead into a USB-A connector because I foresaw this issue immediately when I opened the box! The point is that Apple should have appreciated that most people will not yet have USB-C connectivity, and included an adapter in the box! In the past 6 months, I have renewed my iPhone and my iPad at a cost of over £2000! Rather than directing me to web sites where i can purchase a compatible lead, somebody who cared about customer service would have sent me the genuine Apple product free of charge!

How to connect Apple Pencil 1 to iPad Pro 2020 (no lightning socket)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.