Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do you turn off the “Try the new Safari” notification?

This is annoying. How do you turn off the “Try the new Safari” notification? All my notifications is OFF

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.1

Posted on Feb 5, 2021 4:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 24, 2021 10:59 AM

Thans ManJor, but clicking "Try now" is not an acceptable solution (see point 3 below)

This notification should be escalated as a bug, as it violates Apple Human Interface Guidelines

https://developer.apple.com/design/human-interface-guidelines/ios/system-capabilities/notifications/

Source quotes at the end of this comment, but I see at least 3 violations:

1. Apple requires applications to "get people's permission if you want to send them promotional or marketing notifications." Safari has requested no such permission in this case.
  2. Apple mandates that applications "make sure people can manage their notification preferences." I have tried disabling safari notifications in the notification center, but this particular notification continues to show.
  3. Apple recommends that applications "Avoid sending multiple notifications for the same thing, even if the user hasn't responded." This notification is showing up once every few days for me after dismissal.

To fix this, please remove this notification, provide a UI option to opt out, or only send it once even if the user has not responded. Otherwise, this application should be removed from the app store for violating Apple Guidelines.

Here are my source quotes from the Apple Human Interface Guidelines https://developer.apple.com/design/human-interface-guidelines/ios/system-capabilities/notifications/

Sending Marketing Notifications

Don't use notifications to send marketing or promotional content

unless people explicitly agree to receive such information. When people

want to learn about new features, content, or events related to your

app, they can grant their permission to receive marketing notifications.

For example, the users of a subscriptions app might appreciate getting

an offer to become a subscriber, and the players of a game might want to

receive a special offer related to a live event.

Get people's permission if you want to send them promotional or marketing notifications.

Before you send these notifications to people, you must receive their

explicit permission to do so. Create an alert, modal view, or other

interface that describes the types of information you want to send and

gives people a clear way to opt in or out.

Make sure people can manage their notification preferences within your app.

In addition to requesting permission to send informational or marketing

notifications, you must also provide an in-app settings screen that

lets people change their choice. For guidance, see Settings.

Designing a Great Notification Experience

Avoid sending multiple notifications for the same thing, even if the user hasn't responded.

People attend to notifications at their convenience. If you send

multiple notifications for the same thing, you fill up Notification

Center, and people may turn off notifications from your app.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 24, 2021 10:59 AM in response to ManJor

Thans ManJor, but clicking "Try now" is not an acceptable solution (see point 3 below)

This notification should be escalated as a bug, as it violates Apple Human Interface Guidelines

https://developer.apple.com/design/human-interface-guidelines/ios/system-capabilities/notifications/

Source quotes at the end of this comment, but I see at least 3 violations:

1. Apple requires applications to "get people's permission if you want to send them promotional or marketing notifications." Safari has requested no such permission in this case.
  2. Apple mandates that applications "make sure people can manage their notification preferences." I have tried disabling safari notifications in the notification center, but this particular notification continues to show.
  3. Apple recommends that applications "Avoid sending multiple notifications for the same thing, even if the user hasn't responded." This notification is showing up once every few days for me after dismissal.

To fix this, please remove this notification, provide a UI option to opt out, or only send it once even if the user has not responded. Otherwise, this application should be removed from the app store for violating Apple Guidelines.

Here are my source quotes from the Apple Human Interface Guidelines https://developer.apple.com/design/human-interface-guidelines/ios/system-capabilities/notifications/

Sending Marketing Notifications

Don't use notifications to send marketing or promotional content

unless people explicitly agree to receive such information. When people

want to learn about new features, content, or events related to your

app, they can grant their permission to receive marketing notifications.

For example, the users of a subscriptions app might appreciate getting

an offer to become a subscriber, and the players of a game might want to

receive a special offer related to a live event.

Get people's permission if you want to send them promotional or marketing notifications.

Before you send these notifications to people, you must receive their

explicit permission to do so. Create an alert, modal view, or other

interface that describes the types of information you want to send and

gives people a clear way to opt in or out.

Make sure people can manage their notification preferences within your app.

In addition to requesting permission to send informational or marketing

notifications, you must also provide an in-app settings screen that

lets people change their choice. For guidance, see Settings.

Designing a Great Notification Experience

Avoid sending multiple notifications for the same thing, even if the user hasn't responded.

People attend to notifications at their convenience. If you send

multiple notifications for the same thing, you fill up Notification

Center, and people may turn off notifications from your app.

Apr 2, 2021 10:11 PM in response to rawrrr1

Hi rawrrr1,

Yes, I tried disabling safari notifications first. The notification kept coming back every few days in spite of this.

Other sources confirm the same frustrating experience, and confirm that there is no control in Notification Center for the offending service:

This is doubly frustrating, as it is apparent apple knows this is bad behavior. Apple requires that applications "make sure people can manage their notification preferences." and this requirement is aimed squarely at limiting annoying marketing notifications.

To reiterate, this is in direct violation of apple UI guidelines, and this should be escalated as a bug.

Apr 2, 2021 9:53 PM in response to arjangch

I have found a workaround (credit to Daniel Aleksanderen: https://www.ctrl.blog/entry/how-to-osx-try-safari-promotion.html). If you are terminal-savvy, you can trick the notification into not appearing until 2050. I suspect this workaround won't suit everyone, as it requires entering commands at the terminal. It is dangerous to paste things from the internet into the terminal. You risk opening up your computer to malware and hackers.

If you are savvy or just headstrong, here's the workaround. Open up a terminal and run the following three lines:

defaults write com.apple.coreservices.uiagent CSUIHasSafariBeenLaunched -bool YES
defaults write com.apple.coreservices.uiagent CSUIRecommendSafariNextNotificationDate -date 2050-01-01T00:00:00Z
defaults write com.apple.coreservices.uiagent CSUILastOSVersionWhereSafariRecommendationWasMade -float 99.99

This tells safari...

• that you've launched it at least once
  • that it should wait until 2050 to remind you again
  • that it should wait until version 99.99 to remind you again.

It's technically not gone forever, but close enough.

credit to Daniel Aleksanderen: https://www.ctrl.blog/entry/how-to-osx-try-safari-promotion.html

Apr 2, 2021 1:38 PM in response to arjangch

This should not appear. I've also noticed more encroaching apple spam appearing underneath Siri search in iOS. Yes these might only seem like small annoyances individually, but our lives today are filled with people/apps/badges/notifications/robocalls all trying to insert themselves into our attention stream. All together they mount up. I expect better from Apple than adding to this constant stream of noise. I feel like it is a disrespectful way to treat customers and one of the reasons I switched away from Microsoft originally. Apple, you are damaging your brand with this kind of marketing.

Apr 3, 2021 10:17 AM in response to nar8789

I agree that this is a bug and should be escalated. Quite frankly, the only reason I this thread is because I was annoyed by the same notification popping up all the time, despite being in Do Not Disturb the entire time. I did however remove Safari from notifications bar when I responded, and have not seen it pop up so far. I will keep an eye out for the next week or so to see if pops up again.

As a control measure, I have not pressed "Try" on the notification, nor have I ever opened Safari yet.

How do you turn off the “Try the new Safari” notification?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.