Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Screen mirroring question.

I have an iPhone 8 SE 2020 and just got a Samsung Smart TV. I got screen mirroring to work, but the TV and iPhone have to be connected to the same Wi-Fi network. Because the iPhone is connected to Wi-Fi, it then uses the Wi-Fi to connect to the internet while screen mirroring. The problem is my Wi-Fi is slow, 3 MbPS. That’s OK because I never did any streaming, just email, Facebook, and other things that don’t require high speed. My iPhone uses 4G LTE and is around 50 MbPS with unlimited usage. Is there some way to have both devices connected on the same network, but still let the iPhone use 4G LTE to connect to the internet instead of using the slower Wi-Fi . 

Posted on Feb 5, 2021 7:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 5, 2021 8:17 AM

Unfortunately there isn't. Use AirPlay to stream video or mirror your device’s screen - Apple Support You have the option to have the iPhone connected to your cellular, but you would have to connect to the TV using an adapter that would allow you to connect the iPhone via HDMI to the TV. Those adapters are available through the Apple Store.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 5, 2021 8:17 AM in response to dave1707

Unfortunately there isn't. Use AirPlay to stream video or mirror your device’s screen - Apple Support You have the option to have the iPhone connected to your cellular, but you would have to connect to the TV using an adapter that would allow you to connect the iPhone via HDMI to the TV. Those adapters are available through the Apple Store.

Feb 5, 2021 9:09 AM in response to ChrisJ4203

Thanks ChrisJ4203 for your answer. I have the Apple HDMI connector on my non Smart TV. I just thought if I got a Smart TV I could connect them without wires. I can connect them, but I wasn’t expecting that because both devices had to be on the same Wi-Fi network that I would also be forced to use Wi-Fi on my iPhone instead of the 4G LTE to connect to the internet.

Screen mirroring question.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.