Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using a Partition as a Bootable Drive to Reinstall Older OS on M1

Is it possible to utilize a partition as a bootable drive to reinstall an older version of macOS on an M1 machine?

I don't have access to a larger USB drive than 8GB (and likely won't for a few days) so I figured I'd try my luck at rigging something up with this to try to rollback to 11.0.1 in hopes of troubleshooting the USB C issue.

Is this even possible?

Posted on Feb 5, 2021 7:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 5, 2021 7:29 PM

You can't install older macOS versions in an M1 Mac.

Macs can only run at least the version that came with it, Big Sur in this case.

EDIT: For what I searched, you can't even use the option of reinstalling the version that came with the Mac (this seams to be a feature that remained available only for Intel Macs, not sure though). I mean, it's more like the iDevices now, that once you update, you can't go back to an older version (except in some cases and only if Apple allows it).

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 5, 2021 7:29 PM in response to loganruss

You can't install older macOS versions in an M1 Mac.

Macs can only run at least the version that came with it, Big Sur in this case.

EDIT: For what I searched, you can't even use the option of reinstalling the version that came with the Mac (this seams to be a feature that remained available only for Intel Macs, not sure though). I mean, it's more like the iDevices now, that once you update, you can't go back to an older version (except in some cases and only if Apple allows it).

Using a Partition as a Bootable Drive to Reinstall Older OS on M1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.