Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I connect Old Lacie Ext. HD with Firewire cable to my new Mac

I have a new Mac desktop computer. that doesn't have a port for the Firewire plug from my old Lacie external hard drive that is loaded with files I must save. My old Mac made in 2007 had this port as you can see in the photo.

The arrow points to the plug on the back of my old Mac that accommodated the cord from my old Lacie Ext. HD. The same plug is on the Lacie HD.

Is there an adapter I can buy that will allow me to connect the old Lacie HD to my new Mac purchased in 2020? If not, how do I save all the files on the old Lacie HD.

This is the biggest problem I have with computer technology, storage of files like photos, videos and text documents that you store on a storage device today will not be accessible in 10 or 15 years. Before computers we just filed negatives in envelopes in file cabinets that are always easily accessible.

Thanks in advance for any advise for this not-too-technically-literate Mac fan.

Posted on Feb 6, 2021 12:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 6, 2021 12:30 AM

However, assuming your Mac is using Thunderbolt 3/USB-C, you will need the following:

1. FireWire 800 to 400 9 to 6 pin Cable (https://www.amazon.com/PASOW-FireWire-Cable-Firewire-9-pin/dp/B00X65XHZG/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=firewire%2B400%2Bto%2B800&qid=1612598970&sr=8-1-spons&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzTko4MFBHUlFFR0ZaJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwOTc5MTk0M0E1Q01GT1NBWllHOSZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwODQ0MDE3M1FCV0hUR0k2RDdEQyZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU&th=1)
  2. Apple Thunderbolt to FireWire Adapter (Apple Thunderbolt to FireWire Adapter - Apple)
  3. Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter (Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter - Apple)

The cable will connect to the FireWire adapter, then the FireWire adapter will connect to the Thunderbolt 2 to Thunderbolt 3 adapter, which will connect to your Mac.

Cheers,

Jack

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 6, 2021 12:30 AM in response to Jack-19

However, assuming your Mac is using Thunderbolt 3/USB-C, you will need the following:

1. FireWire 800 to 400 9 to 6 pin Cable (https://www.amazon.com/PASOW-FireWire-Cable-Firewire-9-pin/dp/B00X65XHZG/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=firewire%2B400%2Bto%2B800&qid=1612598970&sr=8-1-spons&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzTko4MFBHUlFFR0ZaJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwOTc5MTk0M0E1Q01GT1NBWllHOSZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwODQ0MDE3M1FCV0hUR0k2RDdEQyZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU&th=1)
  2. Apple Thunderbolt to FireWire Adapter (Apple Thunderbolt to FireWire Adapter - Apple)
  3. Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter (Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter - Apple)

The cable will connect to the FireWire adapter, then the FireWire adapter will connect to the Thunderbolt 2 to Thunderbolt 3 adapter, which will connect to your Mac.

Cheers,

Jack

Feb 7, 2021 12:33 PM in response to RocknRowBoat

Yeah! Problem solved.

I identified the port at far right on the back of the LaCie HD as being a USB 2.0 type B, and I went to that trusty drawer full of old cables that we all have and I found two USB 2.0 type B to USB A cables, plugged one in and it's working like a charm!

Thanks den.thed and Jack for your help and den.thed for suggesting 'ole Mr. Obvious here to see if there are any other ports on the back of the LaCie, something your average second grader would have done in the beginning. But I never was good at doing things the easy way.

I appreciate your help very much. Thank you.

Feb 7, 2021 7:49 AM in response to Jack-19

Hello Jack,

Thank you for helping.

You're correct, what I have coming from the old Lacie ext. HD is a cable with Firewire 400 male plugs on both ends. My old Mac had aa female port for the Firewire 400 but the new Mac does not.

I've attached a photo of the ports on the new Mac and a closeup of the male Firewire 400 plug coming from the Lacie HD I'm trying to connect to the new Mac somehow.

I guess I need to convert from a male Firewire 400 plug to either male Lightning or male USB A as those are the only female ports on the new Mac aside from sound and ethernet.

Thank you again for any advise you can offer.

Feb 7, 2021 8:05 AM in response to RocknRowBoat

What model is your LaCie external drive?

Many of those old LaCie drives also have a USB port and an optional USB cable.

If the LaCie did, then you can simply plug that USB cable into one of the new Mac's USB ports.

If the LaCie did not, then you will need to use the 2 Apple adapters and FireWire 800 to 400 adapter that Jack-19 is referring to.

How can I connect Old Lacie Ext. HD with Firewire cable to my new Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.