Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

To use an "app specific password" I assume I will use it to update , or set up, that app, (AND web entry password too?) for say a bank, phone company, mail service, etc.

I am setting up a new mac mini m1 and OS 11.2, from back up off Time Machine, Feb 6 2021

Posted on Feb 6, 2021 8:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 6, 2021 9:21 AM

You don't use an app-specific password when accessing your Apple ID or other Apple services via a website and you don't use them when using a 3rd party app to access a non-Apple service (e.g., a banking app). You only use them when setting up a 3rd party app that accesses iCloud (e.g., a 3rd party mail app to access your iCloud email or calendar). More information in: Using app-specific passwords - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 6, 2021 9:21 AM in response to pud plik pow

You don't use an app-specific password when accessing your Apple ID or other Apple services via a website and you don't use them when using a 3rd party app to access a non-Apple service (e.g., a banking app). You only use them when setting up a 3rd party app that accesses iCloud (e.g., a 3rd party mail app to access your iCloud email or calendar). More information in: Using app-specific passwords - Apple Support

To use an "app specific password" I assume I will use it to update , or set up, that app, (AND web entry password too?) for say a bank, phone company, mail service, etc.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.