Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Intalling 10.13 on a Mid 2010 iMac

I have two Mid 2010 iMacs. One of them I am running 10.13.6. The other one's harddrive recently bit the dust. I decided to swap out the bad hard drive for a SSD. That was smooth and the OS defaulted to 10.6. I was able to get it up 10 10.8, but when I try to install 10.13 from a flash drive, it keeps erring out. I've searched here and online and tried a bunch of solutions, but can't seem to get anything to work. I am thinking that the installers have to contact Apple, and Apple has stopped that from happening. Any solution I am missing? Thanks.

P.S. I don't have a backup of the old system, but I do of the good system. I am wondering if I could try installing from that back up?

Posted on Feb 6, 2021 9:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 6, 2021 9:38 AM

Welcome!

Links for installers of older versions of OSX are in this Apple support article:

How to get old versions of macOS - Apple Support

The d/ls were not working early this week. We know the Powers That Be have been working on it but, If they fail, you'll have to try again later.

Use Safari for any downloads. There are many reports here of FireFox failing to properly download Mac system installers.

You should not need the Flash drive option unless the version of Safari in OS 10.10 is too old for getting thesystem files.

Flash drive installs seem to raise a number of issues. See if this Apple article helps create a working installer:

How to create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

Note two key requirements in the first bullet point:

• A USB flash drive or other secondary volume, formatted as Mac OS Extended, with at least 12GB of available storage

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 6, 2021 9:38 AM in response to Warpriest

Welcome!

Links for installers of older versions of OSX are in this Apple support article:

How to get old versions of macOS - Apple Support

The d/ls were not working early this week. We know the Powers That Be have been working on it but, If they fail, you'll have to try again later.

Use Safari for any downloads. There are many reports here of FireFox failing to properly download Mac system installers.

You should not need the Flash drive option unless the version of Safari in OS 10.10 is too old for getting thesystem files.

Flash drive installs seem to raise a number of issues. See if this Apple article helps create a working installer:

How to create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

Note two key requirements in the first bullet point:

• A USB flash drive or other secondary volume, formatted as Mac OS Extended, with at least 12GB of available storage

Intalling 10.13 on a Mid 2010 iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.