Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Location being monitored by an ex

Is there anwway that I can find out if someone is actually monitoring my location through my iPhone 6plus. I've noticed many strange things such as I turn a setting off such as blue tooth and it is suddenly on or somehow my boyfriend is recieving my Text messages. also I noticed my phone is constantly screenshotting! And password to gmail changed 24 times

any advice???

any advice??

iPhone 6s

Posted on Feb 6, 2021 9:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 6, 2021 11:02 AM

Use the Find My app (may be Find My iPhone as far back as iPhone 6 Plus, not sure when that changed) to review those authorized to check your location.

Then, if you don't trust your device contents and configuration, and as certainly appears to be the case here...

• Change your Apple ID password,
  • don't share that Apple ID and particularly don't share that password with others,
  • don't re-use that new Apple ID password with any other accounts, change your security questions if those are known to your ex, enable multi-factor authentication with your Apple ID if you have access to a trusted telephone number and/or a trusted secondary email account,
  • wipe and reload your iPhone and set it up as new, change the iPhone passcode you've been using,
  • re-set Touch ID and re-program it yourself,
  • change the passwords to your email accounts, and to any voicemail systems you might use,
  • consider replacing your SIM card,
  • change the access PIN or whatever other security might be used with your cellular carrier,
  • do not allow others to physically access your iPhone.

Related: If you think your Apple ID has been compromised - Apple Support

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 6, 2021 11:02 AM in response to Hwonyov

Use the Find My app (may be Find My iPhone as far back as iPhone 6 Plus, not sure when that changed) to review those authorized to check your location.

Then, if you don't trust your device contents and configuration, and as certainly appears to be the case here...

• Change your Apple ID password,
  • don't share that Apple ID and particularly don't share that password with others,
  • don't re-use that new Apple ID password with any other accounts, change your security questions if those are known to your ex, enable multi-factor authentication with your Apple ID if you have access to a trusted telephone number and/or a trusted secondary email account,
  • wipe and reload your iPhone and set it up as new, change the iPhone passcode you've been using,
  • re-set Touch ID and re-program it yourself,
  • change the passwords to your email accounts, and to any voicemail systems you might use,
  • consider replacing your SIM card,
  • change the access PIN or whatever other security might be used with your cellular carrier,
  • do not allow others to physically access your iPhone.

Related: If you think your Apple ID has been compromised - Apple Support

Feb 6, 2021 5:05 PM in response to Hwonyov

Hwonyov wrote:

Okay so how do I do that
I'm sorry I'm not very good at this and I'm sure he has somehow compromised my phone be it when I was sleeping or not. It's just not right and he always knows where I am and I see photos of things I've looked at on my phone in his phone
I'm always being asked to sign out of "other devices" when I have none, I don't even have a computer. And like I said even passwords have been changed and I didn't do it and locations will say the changes occurred from a different state and even a MAC book which I don't own

How do you do "that" what? The following list? {If so, see this added text on each}

• Change your Apple ID password: {Change your Apple ID password - Apple Support}
  • don't re-use that new Apple ID password with any other accounts, change your security questions if those are known to your ex, enable multi-factor authentication with your Apple ID if you have access to a trusted telephone number and/or a trusted secondary email account, {good passwords are unique, not duplicated, and not shared}
  • wipe and reload your iPhone and set it up as new, change the iPhone passcode you've been using, {Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings - Apple Support}
  • re-set Touch ID and re-program it yourself {delete and re-add as described here: Set up Touch ID on iPhone - Apple Support}
  • change the passwords to your email accounts, and to any voicemail systems you might use, {how to do this varies by mail provider}
  • consider replacing your SIM card, {probably not necessary, but will involve your cellular carrier.}
  • change the access PIN or whatever other security might be used with your cellular carrier, {again, with your carrier}
  • do not allow others to physically access your iPhone. {causing problems for somebody is easier with physical device access}

{Password change notifications and purchase notifications can be real, or can be bogus. Unfortunately. If you've just changed the password, the location can be incorrect—reported locations depend on carrier data, and may not be correct to the same state. If you haven't changed the password and you get a notification, then either your password has been changed and you'll have trouble, or the password-change notification was a scam. Unfortunately. If you didn't request a password change and the password did change and you cannot login, then your Apple ID is compromised.

Recognize and avoid phishing messages, phony support calls, and other scams - Apple Support

If you think your Apple ID has been compromised - Apple Support}

Feb 6, 2021 12:16 PM in response to MrHoffman

Thank you so much. I tried shutting it off before and it wouldn't recognize my password to shut it off. You acknowledged my concern kindly so THANK YOU. I have a lot of crash reports that look suspicious and i can't even find the side car program or Car play to turn it off when I'm in my car. And game pigeon is on my phone and I can't delete that either

Feb 6, 2021 12:44 PM in response to Hwonyov

Reading logs is next to useless as a means for detecting a compromise. Logs are typically filled with ominous-looking and entirely-benign messages, and logging activity is incessant. There's voluminous and ever-changing messages to sort through, and without knowing the indications of compromise.

Once a compromise has been identified, logs might be useful. Maybe. Depending on the compromise. Maybe.

Secure your passwords and passcodes to new and robust choices, secure your account-recovery paths, upgrade your Apple ID security, reinstall iOS as new, and reinstall (only) the apps that you want and need, etc.

Feb 6, 2021 4:16 PM in response to Hwonyov

Okay so how do I do that

I'm sorry I'm not very good at this and I'm sure he has somehow compromised my phone be it when I was sleeping or not. It's just not right and he always knows where I am and I see photos of things I've looked at on my phone in his phone

I'm always being asked to sign out of "other devices" when I have none, I don't even have a computer. And like I said even passwords have been changed and I didn't do it and locations will say the changes occurred from a different state and even a MAC book which I don't own

Location being monitored by an ex

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.