Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

big sur finder sidebar

After upgrade to Big Sur 11.2 (from 11.1), finder sidebar quit showing Favorites. I go to preferences > sidebar and set Favorites, but nothing happens. Even tried a restart. What am I missing?

MacBook

Posted on Feb 6, 2021 12:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 12, 2021 8:47 AM

I have a similar issue. But not only Favorites, Desktop, Documents, Downloads, etc are not showing up. I also can't drag a folder into the sidebar. I was on Apple Support chart for a long time and we couldn't fix the issue. I ended up having to create a new user account on my Mac which worked but kind of a pain to set everything up again like a new computer.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 12, 2021 8:47 AM in response to suule

I have a similar issue. But not only Favorites, Desktop, Documents, Downloads, etc are not showing up. I also can't drag a folder into the sidebar. I was on Apple Support chart for a long time and we couldn't fix the issue. I ended up having to create a new user account on my Mac which worked but kind of a pain to set everything up again like a new computer.

Feb 12, 2021 9:45 AM in response to Douglas Schommer

Wow, that's worse than my experience. In my case, the problem was twofold: I would have expected the "see more" symbol to appear on the left (next to the name "Favorites"), but it was far over to the right. And second, for my old eyes the whole line was nearly invisible - grey on slightly less dark grey. Bad contrast ratio, hence bad signal-to-noise. Guess systems designers don't study basic engineering. Anyway, knowing where to look, I can now change my preferences freely and get results. Defaulting to the "show more" choice would have been nice.

Mar 16, 2021 12:30 AM in response to suule

Just poor design here. If you are going to have a collapsing favorites section, there needs to be some indicator that it is collapsed. And frankly what is the point of having the favorites section being able to be hidden or collapse? It frees up no screen real estate. The sidebar still hangs there. Yuck. You want to make it effective, move in the sidebar when I click favorites to hide it. That would the logical indicator it's hidden.

big sur finder sidebar

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.