Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to import my dvcpro tapes to imac via FCPX or other program?

How to import my dvcpro tapes to imac via FCPX or other program? Is there a specific firewire or software to complete my transfer along with specific settings to my 2020 imac?

Posted on Feb 6, 2021 7:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply
13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 7, 2021 2:52 AM in response to Matti Haveri

My iMac is a 2020, OS Catalina, 10.15.7. I'm using FCPX for editing projects. Have many DVCPro tapes with content needed to transfer from a DV Player/recorder. Not clear on the exact process... plus the settings need to be exact. With three different sizes of dvc pro tapes, I must use an older deck to play them... either a Panasonic or Sony deck.

Feb 8, 2021 9:34 PM in response to tvdude007

You will need a Thunderbolt 9 pin to thunderbolt 2 adapter that couples to a Thunderbolt 3 adapter to port into the iMac.

Most DVCPro decks use 6 pin firewire.

A 6 to 9 pin firewire cable goes from deck to the 9 pin to Thunderbolt 2 adapter.

You capture to an Event within FCP, the imported files will be whatever the capture is, you cannot change that during capture.

Open the FCP Inspector after capture to determine its specs or use an App like MediaInfo to get detailed info.

The Project you use for a Timeline should match the clip properties in all details. VandA.

As a suggestion it would be wise to establish a capture and edit workflow will smallish clips and Projects to get settings tested and setup correctly before capturing a heap of tapes.

Al

Feb 9, 2021 3:08 AM in response to tvdude007

Al,

I am using a MacPro 2010 MacOSX 10.13.6 with a Sony HVR-1500 deck and FCP 10.4.6.

I can import DV HDV and DVCam but not DVCPro.

The deck is connected by a Firewire 400 on the machine to an 800 on the computer.

I get the timecode of the DVCpro but no image.

The image is seen on the monitor of the deck.

This is why I wondered if there was a codex problem.

Any suggestions

We tried the thunderbolt adapter but FCP didn't even see the deck in the devices area.

Thanks

Feb 9, 2021 6:21 PM in response to tvdude007

Its difficult to conduct research on technology that's 10 years-old when no reference sources are available. There are a chosen few media types who can combine creative knowledge with tech smarts. Like looking over the shoulder on a test in class... they don't want YOU to have the correct answer-- I've looked hard, and not one single person who owns a DVC pro deck knows how it works with archive onto a timeline. Probably an old production company tech or master control operator somewhere knows how to handle new/old film-tv materials know the exact codec and firewire compatibility to a modern Mac. I'm going to spend the money anyway on this firewire + thunderbolt theory, but it's a risk. Oh well.

How to import my dvcpro tapes to imac via FCPX or other program?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.