Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Strange and Unknown Temp Files

I noticed a couple weeks ago that I have two files in my download folder. Can anyone tell me what are these files? They are not the typical temp file name, i.e., ***.tmp, instead, the name of the files are tmp.5TvCJx and tmp.697EUf. I've never seen this behavior before until a couple of weeks ago. Any help and insight will be greatly appreciated.

MBP 16, 2019

Software version: 11.2

Posted on Feb 7, 2021 1:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 7, 2021 9:02 AM

Tightwad wrote:

Thank you for your quick reply. The files are only 1 byte each with no content in them. I just want to make sure it's not some kind of malware before I delete them as I have never saw temp filename in this format, this is the first time a temp file from partial downloads actually show up in my download folder. Good to know, thank you!

Good computing Tightwad — glad this solved your problem.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 7, 2021 9:02 AM in response to Tightwad

Tightwad wrote:

Thank you for your quick reply. The files are only 1 byte each with no content in them. I just want to make sure it's not some kind of malware before I delete them as I have never saw temp filename in this format, this is the first time a temp file from partial downloads actually show up in my download folder. Good to know, thank you!

Good computing Tightwad — glad this solved your problem.

Feb 7, 2021 7:12 AM in response to Tightwad

Tightwad wrote:

I noticed a couple weeks ago that I have two files in my download folder. Can anyone tell me what are these files? They are not the typical temp file name, i.e., ***.tmp, instead, the name of the files are tmp.5TvCJx and tmp.697EUf. I've never seen this behavior before until a couple of weeks ago. Any help and insight will be greatly appreciated.

MBP 16, 2019
Software version: 11.2

Two files in your Downloads folder...

can you do a Quick Look and see what they are.... do they have any content... Command Spacebar

Command i opens the information pane. ...

if they're temp sounds like partial downloads that never completed, If they bug you delete them.

Feb 7, 2021 8:08 AM in response to leroydouglas

Strange and Unknown Temp Files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.