You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Camera quality on new MacBook Air

I just received my new MacBook Air, and I am very disappointed in the camera quality. The picture is hazy and grainy. I expected better or the same camera quality as my 2012 MacBook Air. I see that there are numerous complaints about the camera’s quality. Some have returned for another and quality the same. What is the problem? Camera lense is clean and internet connection is just fine. Side by side, my older model and new model, the older model hands down has a far superior camera quality. Is there going to be a fix for this or should I just return it?

Posted on Feb 7, 2021 8:35 AM

1 reply

Feb 7, 2021 11:04 AM in response to Nelliebellemax

Have a similar experience to share. Looks the there is no solution.

I bought a MacBook Air M1 4 days back and also noticed significant difference in camera quality. Picture is very blurry. While doing a FaceTime with my wife, I found her picture quality from on older MacBook model to be far clearer than my new machine, which she also pointed out right away.

Another surprising issue is that whenever there is an LED light in the background, it interferes with the FaceTime camera lense and one can see a thick vertical ray of light running across the screen.

Surprising part is that on contacting the apple store and apple call centre, I was just given the response that “Apple is aware of the LED issue”.

The picture quality during FaceTime was so bad that I was thoroughly convinced that the camera is faulty. However service center executive maintained that it is not a hardware issue and also somewhat conceded that camera in the new machine are not that good and that there is nothing he can do.

It is really disappointing.

Camera quality on new MacBook Air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.