Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to turn app restrictions off

Some apps won’t download because it says I have restrictions on. I never put this on. This user guide says to go to settings- general- then restrictions. I don’t have that.. I called Apple and without having the code no for restrictions I would have to clear my iPad and start over! Help please!

Posted on Feb 7, 2021 2:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 8, 2021 7:52 AM

As your iPad cannot be updated to iOS/iPadOS13 or later, if your Restrictions passcode has been forgotten or is unknown, the only method by which to remove the lost passcode is to completely erase the iPad.

As you’ll not be able to restore an iCloud or iTunes backup, you’ll need to manually back-up any data or files that you wish to keep.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 8, 2021 7:52 AM in response to Deneigeb

As your iPad cannot be updated to iOS/iPadOS13 or later, if your Restrictions passcode has been forgotten or is unknown, the only method by which to remove the lost passcode is to completely erase the iPad.

As you’ll not be able to restore an iCloud or iTunes backup, you’ll need to manually back-up any data or files that you wish to keep.

Feb 8, 2021 7:01 AM in response to Deneigeb

Settings > Screen Time > Content & Privacy Restrictions > iTunes & App Store Purchases > Installing Apps - set to Allow

If you have forgotten the ScreenTime (a.k.a. Restrictions) passcode, one of the two procedures outlined within this link should resolve the problem:

If you forgot your Screen Time passcode - Apple Support

For devices capable of being updated to iPadOS 13.x and later (not applicable to your iPad Air) it is possible to reset a forgotten ScreenTime passcode without wiping the iPad. To reset a forgotten ScreenTime/Restrictions passcode on older versions of iOS, the iPad must be reset “as new” - losing all locally stored data. In this situation, you’ll not be able to restore your data from an iCloud or iTunes backup - as the forgotten passcode is integral to the backup.

how to turn app restrictions off

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.