Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can delete a downloaded DMG file?

I downloaded a dmg file by which is for the machintish os but now I can’t delete it. It is not going away from the trash bin.

please help!

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Feb 7, 2021 4:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 7, 2021 5:26 PM

That isn't a typical file to download by itself as it is usually included within the macOS installers.

Try rebooting the Mac and attempt to delete it again.

I recently had a similar problem when trying to delete a macOS installer and this allowed me to remove it. I have no idea why macOS thinks these items are being used by macOS. In my case I had quit the installer after downloading the installer (normal procedure), but obviously macOS cannot tell the difference between an app and a macOS system file for the currently booted OS.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 7, 2021 5:26 PM in response to darshana178

That isn't a typical file to download by itself as it is usually included within the macOS installers.

Try rebooting the Mac and attempt to delete it again.

I recently had a similar problem when trying to delete a macOS installer and this allowed me to remove it. I have no idea why macOS thinks these items are being used by macOS. In my case I had quit the installer after downloading the installer (normal procedure), but obviously macOS cannot tell the difference between an app and a macOS system file for the currently booted OS.

How can delete a downloaded DMG file?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.