Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

importing songs on computer to Music

I have songs on my computer classified by artist and album. I want the artist and album attached to each song when imported so I can easily find them. How can I do that?

Posted on Feb 7, 2021 4:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 7, 2021 7:27 PM

Greg,

Two options:

If you think the files have nice clean (i.e., complete and accurate) tags, then you can just add them to Music and let Music build the usual hierarchy of Artist/Album. Try it with a few and see if you like it.

Or, if you don't trust the tags, you can manually put them in folders the way you want them. Turn off the "Keep..." and "Copy..." options in Preferences > Files, so that Music will keep them in the folders the way you put them.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 7, 2021 7:27 PM in response to gregmacosko

Greg,

Two options:

If you think the files have nice clean (i.e., complete and accurate) tags, then you can just add them to Music and let Music build the usual hierarchy of Artist/Album. Try it with a few and see if you like it.

Or, if you don't trust the tags, you can manually put them in folders the way you want them. Turn off the "Keep..." and "Copy..." options in Preferences > Files, so that Music will keep them in the folders the way you put them.

Feb 7, 2021 5:42 PM in response to ed2345

Not sure what you mean by metadata. I was using iTunes until Big Sur, then Music replaced iTunes. I had copied many albums from CDs, each in folders w artist name and album. They were all there in iTunes. Some of those folders came thru w tags to Music, but many didn’t. I want to import those albums w the artist and album tag. I don’t want to tag all those albums in Music; a lot of work. Suggestions?

Feb 8, 2021 11:29 AM in response to gregmacosko

I turned off Keep and Copy, and put 10 songs in a folder labeled 60s History of Rock in a folder labeled Various Artists. I added the Various Artists folder to my library but there were no tags on any of the songs. Also not being able to reverse an add to the library is irritating. 

Perhaps I need to format the labels with Data Detectors or Smart Links? I notice that Music/iTunes/Music contains Artist/Album folders that match what is in th Music window. I also dragged a folder into Music and then consolidated the library, with Keep and Copy checked and then no. checked. The same thing happened: Songs added without the folder tags. What about Import Settings under preferences?

I do appreciate any advice you can offer.

Feb 8, 2021 4:39 PM in response to gregmacosko

Greg,

There is no "un-add to library," but you can drag the folder back to where it was and then delete the corresponding library entries.

Regarding the tags, if your files are in any format other than WAV, iTunes/Music will read the title and artist album information from the tags embedded in the files. If the tags are not present, or the file is in WAV format, the artist information will have to be added manually.

importing songs on computer to Music

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.