Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why can't we have a user switch to update IOS with mobile data?

I have no LAN or WiFi but have excellent SIM data speed and 100GB/month data. I know why it was disabled when data was more expensive but surely we should have the option now? Even when chained to iPad (with another 100GB/month) it is incredibly slow and apart from cog going round gives no idea of progress. When I try to update via iTunes it only takes about 20-30 minutes to download but then says unexpected error 4000 and doesn't update, very frustrating.

iPhone SE, iOS 14

Posted on Feb 8, 2021 7:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 8, 2021 7:39 AM

Update via mobile data: Wifi connection with Internet access is mandatory to update an iPhone/iPad.

If you'd like, submit your request to Apple dierctly using this link:--> Apple – Product Feedback

Error 4000 using iTunes on a PC to update an iPhone: keeping in mind that this workaround can affect keychain and/or Apple Pay (if in use, you might need to re-input data), try these steps to solve error 4000:

• Disconnect your device from the computer
  • Temporarily disable the passcode on your iPhone
  • Restart the iPhone
  • Restart iTunes
  • Reconnect the iPhone to your computer and restart the update procedure.

When finished, re-enable your passcode on your iPhone.

Regards

Giulio

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 8, 2021 7:39 AM in response to cloth ears

Update via mobile data: Wifi connection with Internet access is mandatory to update an iPhone/iPad.

If you'd like, submit your request to Apple dierctly using this link:--> Apple – Product Feedback

Error 4000 using iTunes on a PC to update an iPhone: keeping in mind that this workaround can affect keychain and/or Apple Pay (if in use, you might need to re-input data), try these steps to solve error 4000:

• Disconnect your device from the computer
  • Temporarily disable the passcode on your iPhone
  • Restart the iPhone
  • Restart iTunes
  • Reconnect the iPhone to your computer and restart the update procedure.

When finished, re-enable your passcode on your iPhone.

Regards

Giulio

Feb 8, 2021 7:43 AM in response to cloth ears

The restriction on updating over cellular data comes from the cellular carriers, it is not an arbitrary rule imposed by Apple. The reason is that cellular networks operate close to their maximum capacity most of the time, so a sudden surge in usage, such as millions of users downloading gigabytes of the latest update, could crash the network. With the deployment of 5G networks, which have much greater capacity, some carriers are allowing updates over the air for 5G compatible phones.

Feb 8, 2021 9:09 AM in response to cloth ears

The carrier limits the speed of the connection. A single LTE connection is 5-15 mbps. Some carriers support multiple simultaneous connections when the capacity permits (and iPhones support this), so you can get higher than that at unpredictable times. But they also throttle the speed of the connection when network load is high. And with some unlimited plans the carrier limits the speed further, typically to 3 mbps. That’s why unlimited is not necessarily a good option.

The size of an iOS major update is around 3 GB. A 5 mbps (megabits/sec) connection becomes 0.5 megabytes/sec. Some simple math shows that a downloading an update at that speed will take 1.5 to 2.5 hours, with overhead allowance. And if the connection is interrupted even briefly it has to start over. So there’s a practical reason not to update over cellular, also.

What you should do is get the speedtest.net app and see what your actual speed is.

BTW, one way around the limit on updates over cellular is to get a cellular hotspot device (“Mifi” or equivalent) and add it to your account. These appear to be Wi-Fi networks to the phone, and can be used for updates. They are also more efficient than the personal hotspot on your phone. I’ve gotten as high as 90 mbps with the ZTE model I use. This is also useful if you don’t have broadband in your area.

Feb 8, 2021 9:29 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

Lawrence Finch wrote:
...., one way around the limit on updates over cellular is to get a cellular hotspot device (“Mifi” or equivalent) and add it to your account. These appear to be Wi-Fi networks to the phone, and can be used for updates. They are also more efficient than the personal hotspot on your phone. I’ve gotten as high as 90 mbps with the ZTE model I use. This is also useful if you don’t have broadband in your area.

You beat me. Your carrier LTE or your MiFi model is better than mine :(

But I'm reaching 75-80Mbps, which is a very satisfactory result. My TP-Link mobile Mifi is a real good friend wherever I go.

Giulio

Feb 8, 2021 9:47 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

Interesting response re connection speeds, when PC is chained to iPad or iPhone an IOS download via iTunes takes 20 -35 minutes and on one occasion only 15 minutes. When I still had a BT line it would need a minimum of 12 hours and usually failed before then. Apart from difficulty updating (which Giulio's suggestion has cured) I have no need of a better connection speed and another monthly cost is entirely unnecessary but thank you for your contribution.

Why can't we have a user switch to update IOS with mobile data?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.