Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connect Macbook Pro 2013 to iMac 2020

Hi, I'm wondering how can I connect my old Macbook Pro 2013 to iMac2020 to use the iMac as an external display? What type of cords do I need?

Thanks!

Posted on Feb 8, 2021 10:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 8, 2021 10:41 AM

In short, no. iMacs are computers and were never intended to be external displays for other devices. I recommend that you simply buy an external monitor (they start at about $120) and all you will need is a simple adapter. Much more reliable and more simple to connect.

We get your question at least 5x a day paticularly now that so many are working from home. Don't waste your time, money or energy working on Target Display Mode.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 8, 2021 10:41 AM in response to siare1023

In short, no. iMacs are computers and were never intended to be external displays for other devices. I recommend that you simply buy an external monitor (they start at about $120) and all you will need is a simple adapter. Much more reliable and more simple to connect.

We get your question at least 5x a day paticularly now that so many are working from home. Don't waste your time, money or energy working on Target Display Mode.

Connect Macbook Pro 2013 to iMac 2020

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.