Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I synchronize my music across all devices?

Over the years I have built a substantial collection of music, some purchased from the iTunes Store on two different Apple IDs, some purchased from other vendors, and some ripped from a huge CD collection. In the past, I have been able to synchronize music between my phone, desktop and laptop, but now apparently cannot.

I don't have or want an Apple Music subscription, since my tastes range wide of their catalog, but now it seems the only way to synchronize my music is to pay Apple another monthly fee.

Please advise.

iMac 27″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Feb 9, 2021 10:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 12, 2021 4:14 PM

Okay, okay. If you want to do it for free you will have to make sure each computer is using the same operating system version or if using iTunes it has the same iTunes version. You will then have to put the entire iTunes collection and library on an external drive. Move the drive from computer to computer as you use each of them. Also sync the device to the library on this drive. That way you can do it for free.

If you don't want to move hte drive then you can try using Home Sharing and have a large notepad by your desk so if you make any changes to playlists you have a note by your desk telling you what to do to make sure the other library has exactly the same changes you just made on the first one.

Have fun!

If you decide this is what you want to do then we can tell you how to do it, but maybe you'll just figure dropping the hassle is worth $20-something per year for Match.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 12, 2021 4:14 PM in response to rwzpv

Okay, okay. If you want to do it for free you will have to make sure each computer is using the same operating system version or if using iTunes it has the same iTunes version. You will then have to put the entire iTunes collection and library on an external drive. Move the drive from computer to computer as you use each of them. Also sync the device to the library on this drive. That way you can do it for free.

If you don't want to move hte drive then you can try using Home Sharing and have a large notepad by your desk so if you make any changes to playlists you have a note by your desk telling you what to do to make sure the other library has exactly the same changes you just made on the first one.

Have fun!

If you decide this is what you want to do then we can tell you how to do it, but maybe you'll just figure dropping the hassle is worth $20-something per year for Match.

How can I synchronize my music across all devices?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.