Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV Upgrade

How do I upgrade from Apple TV 3 to Apple TV 4?

Apple TV HD, tvOS 14

Posted on Feb 9, 2021 12:07 PM

7 replies

Feb 9, 2021 1:19 PM in response to tjinks00

If you have an iPhone you can use that to move over most of the informaiton. However, please remember the Apple 4 & 4K (I'd recommend getting the 4K model) you will need to load the apps you want. Apple TV 3's do not have an app store to load apps, they are hard wired. With a new Apple TV it does have an app store so you will be able to have all the programing you did plus much more if you want it.

You will really enjoy the new TV OS and the speed of the device. I just upgraded my last Apple TV 3 to a Apple TV 4K over the weekend and couldn't be more happy. We have 3 Apple TV 4Ks in our home.

Feb 9, 2021 2:42 PM in response to tjinks00

The 3rd gen didn't run apps, those were preset 'channels' that used basic web templates and were sent to the system via server. The HD and 4K also run a completely different system, TVOS.

When you setup the 4K it would work more like an iPhone, where it has preset apps from Apple and the rest are downloaded from the store. They do employ the 'one home screen' feature so that you can keep those in sync between multiple ATV's or for those who have upgraded between HD and 4K.

Apple TV Upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.