Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Big sur update 11.2.1 MBP charging fix

I've applied this update, and my MacBook Pro still can't charge. It still maintains the current charge as long as I keep it plugged in, but it doesn't charge. Is anyone else having this issue?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Feb 9, 2021 12:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 10, 2021 10:25 AM

A feature introduced into Big Sur was to preserve the number of Full Battery Cycles - there was an Algorithm coded into the macOS. As @ FoxFifth has explained - it is perfectly Normal for Big Sur to Pause / Suspend charging the battery beyond 80% and hold it at that level. One can nudge / over-ride this by clicking the Battery Icon on Desktop Top Bar and allow charging beyond 80%. From observations, it will Pause / Suspend again once reading 90%. Same procedure to over-ride and will charge to 100%

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 10, 2021 10:25 AM in response to robertcoogan

A feature introduced into Big Sur was to preserve the number of Full Battery Cycles - there was an Algorithm coded into the macOS. As @ FoxFifth has explained - it is perfectly Normal for Big Sur to Pause / Suspend charging the battery beyond 80% and hold it at that level. One can nudge / over-ride this by clicking the Battery Icon on Desktop Top Bar and allow charging beyond 80%. From observations, it will Pause / Suspend again once reading 90%. Same procedure to over-ride and will charge to 100%

Feb 9, 2021 12:59 PM in response to robertcoogan

This may or may not be related. With Big Sur, if Apple menu > System Preferences > Battery > Battery (in sidebar of preference window) > Optimized Battery Charging is turned on and if the Mac is run for long periods while always plugged in, it is normal for Charging to be put on hold. If that is the reason, the explanation should be shown if you click the Battery icon in the menu bar.

Feb 10, 2021 8:53 AM in response to FoxFifth

I've already run Diagnostics and got the code "ADP000 - No issues found." USB doesn't show up as being broken in any way, nor does the battery. If I uncheck Optimized Battery Charging the MBP it stops maintaining a charge (it is why I went from 100% to 93% and then to 85%). So at least it maintains the current level as long as I keep it plugged in. Two separate power bricks as well. Neither would do anything other than maintain the current charge. Both charge my iPad Pro. It's not the battery I think. The 11.2 update did something to cause this to happen, the timing is spot-on. And the 11.2.1 update didn't fix it.

Feb 11, 2021 10:55 AM in response to robertcoogan

Update: I fixed it. I didn't know about what P.Philips mentions below, the feature concerning Optimized Battery Charging. The Apple Tech I spoke to had me running diagnostics and even suggested at one point that I get a new Mac as it did seem (their words) that "the ports were probably bad." Right.

Shame on you, Apple. I called you because I didn't know. If your tech support had me check that preference pane, I could have solved this sooner. Instead I get inexperience and bad advice. What a negative this company has turned into.

Big sur update 11.2.1 MBP charging fix

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.